Dull On Dip

robzrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E300 TD
Hello All

Just polished my headlight glasses up with toothpaste to get rid of the hazing. I can see a great improvement in clarity. Thought I'd cured my problem. Thing is, my headlights (on dip) are STILL very dull, so much so that I still have to have the foglights on for driving not to be dangerous. Could it be that the bulbs are the wrong wattage or something? Full beam is fine, but I can't keep that on all the time, can I?

Cheers
Rob

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hello All

Just polished my headlight glasses up with toothpaste to get rid of the hazing. I can see a great improvement in clarity. Thought I'd cured my problem. Thing is, my headlights (on dip) are STILL very dull, so much so that I still have to have the foglights on for driving not to be dangerous. Could it be that the bulbs are the wrong wattage or something? Full beam is fine, but I can't keep that on all the time, can I?

Cheers
Rob

Use 3M fast cut plus (green top) with a green 3M pad on a dual action polisher

or the fast cut plus on a duster, just takes a bit longer and all yellowing and haze is gone

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Apart from the good advice above try the Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs, they are super :D

E

elkanavantage

cleaning headlamp covers

Glad to read your success with toothpaste ( I have a 1999 E 320). I have seen a couple of videos on this process but your success is extra encouraging. The German cleaning system I bought is a waste of money (£15) and its paste seems like thinner toothpaste!!

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
I used a 3M headlight restoration kit that I got from Amazon. Not cheap but did a good job, see pics.

The only issue I had was that there wasn't really enough material in the kit to fully do the 4 headlamps on a CL.

Attachments

• P1000696.jpg
    P1000696.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1000712.jpg
    P1000712.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 28

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I wonder why the lens on my 2002 clk look like the after image, jet its always parked on the drive, never garaged.

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
I wonder why the lens on my 2002 clk look like the after image, jet its always parked on the drive, never garaged.

The surface damage on my lenses was mostly 'pitting' (and lots of it) which made the whole surface dull.

Maybe a previous owner of my car liked driving at 150 mph on gravel roads?

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Glad to read your success with toothpaste ( I have a 1999 E 320). I have seen a couple of videos on this process but your success is extra encouraging. The German cleaning system I bought is a waste of money (£15) and its paste seems like thinner toothpaste!!

I too have had good success with toothpaste (Colgate whitening to be precise :D ). You can see the before\after on post 17 of this thread:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121326&page=2

Dave

OP
R

robzrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E300 TD
Use 3M fast cut plus (green top) with a green 3M pad on a dual action polisher

or the fast cut plus on a duster, just takes a bit longer and all yellowing and haze is gone

Thanks. Was hoping I'd get away with just the toothpaste. Will give 3M a go.

Top Bottom