Dull Paintwork!

Dunvale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
01 ML 270cdi (w163), 94 E200 (w124)
Hi all. I have 1994 E200 (w124). Its a non metallic Navy colour.
When I polish the old girl she gleams beautifully and the dark navy body work comes up in a really deep shine! But after a couple of days and any bit of exposure to the sun it starts to fade gradually into hazy patches, a bit like those old faded red toyota carinas you might see around from time to time!
This is really annoying because its tough work to get that shine back up.
Last time I did it, it had been left idle for a long time and was badly faded. took two applications of T-cut to bring it back:Oops:
I always use good quality Polish (Maguires).
Is there a remedy to stop this fading occuring? When its good its real good, but when it starts to fade she just looks like a tired old Taxi which is more often than not!
Any advice?
On an aside note, A few years back it was in a garage getting some work done. I went round to collect it and someone had left a wet rag on the bonnet. I tought nothing of it and just removed the wet rag and put it on the bench. To this day you can still see the shape of where the rag was on the bonnet(five years later). And that spots shines brighter than the whole car no matter how hard I polish, even when the car is all dull, that spots stays gleaming! I'd love to know what liquid was on that rag because I'd coat the whole car in it! What ever it was it brought the paint up lovely and protected it beautifully! A mystery.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This can be a problem when the top coat becomes porous.

This was quite common in the mid 90's on many cars, ihave known people to use oil mixed with the wax to try and stop this with varying degrees of success.

Its sad when you are doing your best, other than a respray there might not be an answer

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Have you tried Autoglym Super Resin polish followed by the Resin Sealant?
The sealant stuff makes all the difference in how long the finish lasts.

OP
D

Dunvale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your replies guys.
Well Television a respray would be last on my list for now. But I may consider that in the future as the car is in good nick otherwise and the w124's are kind of modern classics these days.
brandwooddixon,
I like the sound of that Autoglym polish and the sealent might be the answer to locking in that shine for a bit longer. I will look into this.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
mechanical polish to cut the paint then seal it with teflon polish.

hope that helps. if local to haddenham cambs drop by.

jib

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I doubt if you can cut the paint back any more by using an abrasive polish like tcut, it will only deteriorate the finish, if you cant afford a repaint, try building up the colour with colour magic, use a colour same as your car. and apply it a section at a time..wear rubber gloves cos it stains hands, I suggest you do each panel as many times as you possibly can, each application will enhance the surface.. then finish with a quality carnauba wax

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I doubt if you can cut the paint back any more by using an abrasive polish like tcut, it will only deteriorate the finish, if you cant afford a repaint, try building up the colour with colour magic, use a colour same as your car. and apply it a section at a time..wear rubber gloves cos it stains hands, I suggest you do each panel as many times as you possibly can, each application will enhance the surface.. then finish with a quality carnauba wax

That sounds worth a try :D:D:D

OP
D

Dunvale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All very good suggestions. Many thanks to you all. Yes I agree about the T'cut. I don't want to do that again. The colour build sounds like hard work but may be worth a try.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom