Dyson has scrapped its electric car project

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Only $500k US....
That's a very long return on investment....

tis but step in decent direction and thats 1 home,not millions ,or millions and millions i sure see it coming in front of just recharging batteries even tho, batteries and charging are still involved here.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Only $500k US....
That's a very long return on investment....

Yes. Hence the need to get it out there and for those who Can afford it now to buy it and get the price down as quickly as possible. I know two millionaires and I will pass the details on to them. And then the ball starts rolling because they will tell their wealthy friends and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes. Hence the need to get it out there and for those who Can afford it now to buy it and get the price down as quickly as possible. I know two millionaires and I will pass the details on to them. And then the ball starts rolling because they will tell their wealthy friends and so on.

I seriously doubt they'll do anything with an ROI that long coupled with the space needed for all those tanks (that huge array of tanks is the equivalent of only 40 gallons of petrol!)

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
tis but step in decent direction and thats 1 home,not millions ,or millions and millions i sure see it coming in front of just recharging batteries even tho, batteries and charging are still involved here.

Yes however as he states it appears he is completely off grid. Hidden away deep in a forest with banks of solar panels to charge the electrical side together with water to make the hydrogen. Plus I believe the by product of using hydrogen is water in a car. Although that would weigh the car down significantly.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I seriously doubt they'll do anything with an ROI that long coupled with the space needed for all those tanks (that huge array of tanks is the equivalent of only 40 gallons of petrol!)

Oh yee of little faith!!!
Think realistic optimistic thoughts. This system would save people serious amounts of money and possibly promote the safe use of hydrogen cars.
I believe my two millionaire friends have plenty of space for those tanks. Or they could be combined into a larger tank space permitting.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Oh yee of little faith!!!
Think realistic optimistic thoughts. This system would save people serious amounts of money and possibly promote the safe use of hydrogen cars.
I believe my two millionaire friends have plenty of space for those tanks. Or they could be combined into a larger tank space permitting.

Simple economics.
If it cost £500k to put in.
Assuming a monthly cost of £1000 per month fuel, electric and gas costs means 500 months return. That's 41 years.
Not including maintenance costs (solar panels will need replacing twice in that time frame as average lifespan is 15-20 years).

A nice experiment but not economically sensible. They'll see the same thing. That's why they're millionaires.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Simple economics.
Assuming a monthly cost of £1000 per month fuel, electric and gas costs means 500 months return. That's 41 years.
Not including maintenance costs (solar panels will need replacing twice in that time frame as average lifespan is 15-20 years).

A nice experiment but not economically sensible. They'll see the same thing. That's why they're millionaires.

at todays costs and on a one off basis i agree . progress and sheer numbers will likely change all that .. i am far more comfortable with that idea (cos its likely far enough away ) than i am with an electric leaf that at 80k miles (just over my normal purchase range) that now cant do 35 miles !! anything like that such as battery power tools over £150 is just a NON starter for me ... apart from industrial/commercial desire to keep me a constant consumer i just dont see the point..... we have a 75 yr old friend who just bought a zoe, she only goes to the shop/doc/hosp and as a step to mobility (its only slightly better ) horrible plastic thing, i CAN see the point perhaps they could make one coffin shaped ? at least then depreciation would not be an issue.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Simple economics.

So because the ROI is about 41 years you believe people will be put off by that? Even though it could be passed on to their children and grand children?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as it stands LK is about right .but think its not that long ago ,no internet , give this the same time to develop who knows? i believe it WILL become the norm.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
I know nothing, but looking at that video is seems those storage cylinders are at 30 something. It could be psi or maybe Bars, therefore about 450 psi. There I think is the problem with hydrogen. It will store at pressure but has to be kept cold as well. I understand some research is going on to store at NTP but this would mean storing at ultra high pressure, that brings other problems like allowing Joe public refilling the tank, and who want to be sitting on a tank of this stuff in a RTC. In the meantime I`ll keep running my old diesel,

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So because the ROI is about 41 years you believe people will be put off by that? Even though it could be passed on to their children and grand children?

Absolutely.
And those figures assume you're using £1000 of energy per month. We're nowhere near that even with petrol costs. In fact most months we'd be closer to a quarter of that.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
All the people I know with a few bob would fall about laughing at the cost then wet themselves laughing at all the kit and kaboodle needed.

Its a rich engineers folly and if they ended up selling the house it would become some very posh scrap overnight.

We have two biggish gas boilers and I would have to live till I got a telegram to take the edge off it .

There is also the interesting question of Insurance, it would be entertaining getting your Gas Safe man down to service it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
loads of obstacles. did,nt stop orville. or kelly johnson...just to name 2

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I'm looking at buying an off grid property in the mountains around here. Instead of invest 500k in that I will do what all the other off grid properties do; buy 1500€ of Solar panels, with a bit of reading up install them myself, and then add a 500€ battery.

That set-up is plenty to have a 70L hot electric hot water heater (that you obviously time to heat through the day) and then enough power from the battery overnight for all electronics, fridge, and lighting which is all that's needed.

The only thing that you can't have on that set-up is oven/heating (that would need to be done by wood fire/bottled gas)

And the cost of the set-up mentioned above is coming down rapidly so I don't see why you would go to the bother with the rest of it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm looking at buying an off grid property in the mountains around here. Instead of invest 500k in that I will do what all the other off grid properties do; buy 1500€ of Solar panels, with a bit of reading up install them myself, and then add a 500€ battery.

That set-up is plenty to have a 70L hot electric hot water heater (that you obviously time to heat through the day) and then enough power from the battery overnight for all electronics, fridge, and lighting which is all that's needed.

The only thing that you can't have on that set-up is oven/heating (that would need to be done by wood fire/bottled gas)

And the cost of the set-up mentioned above is coming down rapidly so I don't see why you would go to the bother with the rest of it.
Totally agree.
I priced a system for our place including heat pump.
We needed 10kW of solar and a large battery backup to run the 15kW heat pump in winter. All in including panels, charge controllers, batteries, inverter and heat pump it was around £12k. That also gave sufficient to be completely off grid in summer. Payback on current usage would be around 10 years.

The purpose of this was to heat the house to a low level when we weren't there but there are definite benefits beyond that.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i looked aheat pump here i can do myself for around 9k and run it thru my oil system (my existing rads are over spec (old things ) i needed a buffer tank as well the idea normal opps heat pump only really cold oil fires to make up difference. but would run less as air source water much warmer under any conditions than previously hence less run time on oil. i looked at cool energy one has to watch the efficiency claims ?? there is a few running in brittany ,may go look in spring .https://coolenergyshop.com/collections/pro-range-heat-pumps

the 16+ interested me. issue is china ! but most seem from there even from better badged makers ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was looking at these :
https://www.bimblesolar.com/more/heatpumps

Our French neighbours have an ASH pump and they think it was worth the money to fit (even at French prices!).[/QUOTE

yup they sure do pay. my next door have it cost them 22k euro with hot water . but it sure makes a difference they also run thru existing rads with buffer and their place always warm ,they use logs in worst part of yr ,but not often .we just burn more wood about 4cube and our place aint as warm . i should have done it 2 yr ago when i stopped work.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

I guess you could add a small wind turbine in the mix and if there is flowing water nearby a water turbine?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess you could add a small wind turbine in the mix and if there is flowing water nearby a water turbine?

Both of which are quite costly (per watt) to do. Given he lives in Spain solar would be very sensible....

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom