E 270 CDi 95,000 Miles Gearbox Fluid

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Should I get the fluid changed? No detected problems just the miles. Any fresh opinions on this matter, personally I do not buy into the sealed for life idea.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As it has never been done then why not,,take a look at the colour and smell it,, some boxes stay like new,others do not.

Not a bad idea to change it

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Given that you're 50,000 miles overdue, its not a bad idea.
MB changed the fluid on mine as a mandatory task at the 45k service.
So yes, have it done.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I would agree strongy there with ST4!!!

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
MB suggest to change at 4 years/37,500 miles whichever is soonest. Its called preventative maintenance.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Having had a "sealed for life" gearbox fail and MB unwilling to request dealers to include older vehicles in the oil change routine I'd spend the £150 or so and get the oil and filters changed.

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly Changed at 45,000

The last Main Dealer Service was at 45,000 book stamped but not filled in correctly, we have a local well known indie and I will be speaking with him later today. Will let you know.l

OP
The Pan Man

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Conversation went like this

Explained exactly where I stood and was advised that renewing the Gear Box Oil would do no harm but the 211 series has no drain plug in the Torque Converter and for Model years 2002 - 2005 this was the case. However 2005 - onwards they were again fitted with a drain plug and a reccomended change every 40,000 Miles. He was very honest and open so here is the upshot, Today I will go and see him have the oil looked at and take it from there, if it's still red leave well alone if its dirty / contaminated I will get it changed. Will keep you updated. He also told me of several 400,000 milers still running the original fluid in the box.

Aletank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes C180k Avantgarde SE Sport Auto
Explained exactly where I stood and was advised that renewing the Gear Box Oil would do no harm but the 211 series has no drain plug in the Torque Converter and for Model years 2002 - 2005 this was the case. However 2005 - onwards they were again fitted with a drain plug and a reccomended change every 40,000 Miles. He was very honest and open so here is the upshot, Today I will go and see him have the oil looked at and take it from there, if it's still red leave well alone if its dirty / contaminated I will get it changed. Will keep you updated. He also told me of several 400,000 milers still running the original fluid in the box.
Do you know when/if a drain plug was fitted to the c-class ? Was it the 04/05 facelift ?
Just thinking ahead about future car purchases ;)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Torque converter drain plug or not, an oil and filter change can only do good. If its been there for 95k I wouldn't contemplate leaving it. I'm sure there are some about that survived but many have not. (There are 100 year old smokers around but it doesn't make it a safe!). From those dates, mine doesn't have a drain but it didn't stop the dealer changing the fluid and filters a couple of services back and now I'm up to 78k, I intend having it done again sometime in the next 20,000 miles.

Clean or not, would you leave engine oil in for that period? The ATF serves 2 purposes. Both as hydraulic fluid, which assuming uncontaminated will probably continue to serve, but also as a lubricant. Now I can't see how such a stressed fluid can possibly still be performing at 100% after all this time.

Then there's the filters. They must be past their best and finally, one of the things that's generally done at the same time is the electrical plug seal. If this goes (and they very commonly do), your gearbox ECU will fill up with ATF and you're in for more repair costs.

Don't chance it, it's not worth it. Your mechanic is trying to save you money (all credit to him) but IMO and that of experienced MB techs like S-A-M / U-N-I-T and Hertfordshire Merx this is one place it's just not worth taking the chance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Has the drain plug been fitted a gain ?

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160

400,000 miles on the same gearbox fluid????????

Top Bottom