E 350 CDI Cabriolet soft top compartment hinge broken

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Guys, I appreciate I am late to this thread, I have noticed a loud creaking noise on the hinges on my cab when the back panel raises and drops in the process. No broken clips yet. I cant see anything causing this as the mechanism is free from any deviation. However looking at the hinges, they seem to be pretty much made of plastic parts. I think over the last 3 months of hot weather and the car being parked in the sun. There could be some heat expansion causing rubbing and I am sure eventually breakage as the plastic get brittle over time. I will wait for some temperature drop and moisture in the air and see if the noise reduces. The car is 10 years old albeit with 35k on the clock so Its not had a hard life.
Welcome!

John Muller

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 350 Convertible
My 2014 W212 has the exact same issue with the broken piece in the hinge. The local dealership won't touch this as they are concerned that once they start messing with a convertible they will be on the hook for everything afterwords. Other mechanics have looked at it and said "I think I can remove it, but I can't tell you how long it will take or how much it will cost". I'm not going down that road. I would like to just pull the hinge pin and remove the broken plastic pieces. I don't see a circlip on the pin so I'm asking "do I just tap the pin out (securing the hinge and hatch) in order to remove the top part of the broken hinge? the bottom hinge pin looks more complicated. Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks...

MyTopHing.jpg

PAW500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A207 E500 Cab, W124 E320 Coupe
Hello and welcome

Silicone spray is your friend, apply it liberally

Many thanks

I have noticed the silicone spray has helped and cooler temps have stopped the creaking and groaning (for now)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom