Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
You're quite right. The Sports DPF could be significantly more expensive.

My one slight concern about DPF removal is future MOTs - not a concern at the moment as my first one will be 2015. If they start measuring particulate emissions won't a car without DPF fail?

Excellent point. My understanding was that with correct mapping, the car would be at least as clean. Maybe GAD can comment further on this, doubtless many of their customers have passed MOT's post DPF removal. However, if things tighten up further there might be issues.

My Impreza was de-catted years ago, yet, as it was properly tuned, still just passed the emissions test - it was below the maximum permissable for that car of that year, basically bang on the manufacturers estimates. However, a few years back they tightened up the limits and restrospectively applied it to much older cars. As a result, my cars target was BELOW the manufacturers limits. Needed to add a sport cat at that point.

So, we do need to understand this fully, as future regulation changes could impact things. It may be that without a DPF / with a Sports DPF that particulates are within limits, but it might not be possible to meet future, tighter limits.

My gut feeling is that w'd be fine without a DPF come MoT time, but I might be wrong.

Scoob.

OP
GAD Tuning LTD

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
When the laws change a DPF filter has to be there on visual inspection. So a sports DPF would still pass as there is still a system in place and also it will pass the MOT which is the big thumbs up from the legal stand point. If it were to have a sports DPF and fail emissions test then a fail is a fail. Same as if the standard DPF is in place and the vehicle has a leaky injector producing to much smoke then a fail is a fail.

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
My concern was specifically about particulate measurement, as opposed to general emissions measurement.

As I understand it, there is no particulate measurement at all....... for now.

If this is introduced, could a DPF-less vehicle fail?

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
When the laws change a DPF filter has to be there on visual inspection. So a sports DPF would still pass as there is still a system in place and also it will pass the MOT which is the big thumbs up from the legal stand point. If it were to have a sports DPF and fail emissions test then a fail is a fail. Same as if the standard DPF is in place and the vehicle has a leaky injector producing to much smoke then a fail is a fail.

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

So, basically, a sports DPF would likely be the most trouble-free solution.

Tell me though, how do they physically check for a DPF being present? They can't go dismantling the car (removing the pipe) and checking it on a bench on an MOT, that's just to much work for £53 or whatever the test costs these days.

It's like the Cat Test - i.e. must be present - they don't really check for this properly. My Impreza has bulge in the centre section of the exhaust, I've seen garages assume that's the catalyst but it ISN'T. That is where the second Catalyst goes, but my car (being originally the ProDrive variant) has this Cat removed, so it's just a resonated section. The main Cat is in the down-pipe, which you cannot see so readily.

Scoob.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom