E Class 12 Months In - Fail

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E220CDi Executive SE & 2017 SL400 AMG
So we get the nice new (well, 12 months old) E Class loaded up and head off to the beautiful French resort of La Rochelle. This initially involves a 450 mile blast from Glasgow to Portsmouth.

We get as far as Tebay services when the air-con seems to stop conning the air. On the hottest day of the year.

Arriving at Mercedes Benz Portsmouth, we are told that the pump/compressor (which also drives just about everything else in the car) is wrecked and we're lucky to have made it to Portsmouth.

Mobilo kicks into gear and provides us with a reasonably nice VW Passat Estate to continue our journey.

12 months in ?!?!? Major mechanical failure??!?!

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Not good, how long you looking at before you get it back?

OP
gordonwd

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not good, how long you looking at before you get it back?

Well, to be fair, MB Portsmouth were excellent. They contacted Mobilo and got everything going immediately. They kept the car, repaired the problem under warranty and it was all ready for us when we arrived back from France.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
The problem seems to have been handled very well, though.

Nice to hear of good results from MB.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mercedes Portsmouth are very good, the south coast is well taken car of with good indies and dealers :D:D

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Why did they not offer you a similar car to carry on your journey? at least a MB not a VW Passat! Poor!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why did they not offer you a similar car to carry on your journey? at least a MB not a VW Passat! Poor!

They new the VW would make the trip and unsure that their MB stock would ;);)

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
i was giong to say perhaps they think the passat is a better car than the E. :shock:

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Executive SE Coupé ('13)
The Passat doesn't belong to MB Portsmouth; it is a hire vehicle from EuropCar, who Mobilo use.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
The Passat doesn't belong to MB Portsmouth; it is a hire vehicle from EuropCar, who Mobilo use.

Your insider knowledge is useful - thanks.

Forums can run wild at times.

OP
gordonwd

gordonwd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Europcar is indeed the mob that Mobilo use. Our disaster was unfolding around 5:30pm (with a 7:30pm ferry cutoff time) and I wasn't in a position to complain about the lack of a Merc. Apparently they "don't allow Mercs out of the country" - which is ludicrous for a supposed Europe-wide breakdown service.

That said, the Passat was a nice car. Well spec'd with Sat-Nav, cruise control, aircon, Bluetooth. Estate was a good addition too as we were able to get stocked up well in a LeClerc :D

......and, it didn't break down.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
New VW Passat estate is an excellent vehicle. Offers adjustable electronic damping, a DSG gearbox, and 4WD if you want it. Probably better for corrosion protection also.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
MB dealers up here use Enterprise, who say they have to keep MBs for MB customers, BMWs for BMW customers and never let a BMW customer into an MB or vice versa. Strict guidelines apparently from the bloke I spoke to.

Glad they are more intelligent about things further south

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got a feeling they might be owned by the same people. But different local branches will be stricter on these things. It's supposed to be a like-for-like thing, but I've had customers borrow VWs, Peugeots and Fords when no Merc has been available.

That said, the Touareg that one ML customer was lent was probably a better fit than, say, a B-Class.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a new 204 when my car was in at mercedes Watford :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which one, and what did you think of it?

It was a 180k I Think the one that stops the engine at traffic lights etc,, it was a lively thing but just not what I am used to driving :D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was a 180k I Think the one that stops the engine at traffic lights etc,, it was a lively thing but just not what I am used to driving :D

At least they gave you a petrol; I know you're not the biggest fan of oil burners...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom