E Class 2020 Facelift Intelligent Light System beam pattern request

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Saloon W213 / 2021 / E220d
Hi All,

After 4 months of constant discussions and 5 visits to 2 different Mercedes Benz dealers across the North West, I am still having troubles with my light system. Link to full description and thread below:

I wanted to request from the guys with the new E Class 2020 facelift models to post a pic of your beam patterns along with settings on your vehicle as mine are quite clearly wrong after several visits to the garage, but garages seem to think it's fine. For example, mine is below:

Intelligent Light System: On
Dipped Beam Setting: Left-side Traffic

unnamed (1).jpg

Link below for those who cannot see it for whatever reason:

Your help is very much appreciated!

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bump on this - your help is much appreciated guys!

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hi Karson, sorry to hear you still haven't had a solution for this. Have you managed to get in touch with Mercedes-Benz UK?

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Karson, sorry to hear you still haven't had a solution for this. Have you managed to get in touch with Mercedes-Benz UK?
I did indeed - they just asked me to send it into the garage again. No luck as of yet hence why I am trying to collect pictures of vehicles that have the correct beam alignment to show them :mad::mad::mad:

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 2020 220d Prem Plus
Maybe you are comparing apples with oranges?

The raised/lowered beam was a simple way of avoiding dazzle but the Mercedes ILS starts with a blank piece of paper to solve the problem.

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe you are comparing apples with oranges?

The raised/lowered beam was a simple way of avoiding dazzle but the Mercedes ILS starts with a blank piece of paper to solve the problem.

This is correct for the adaptive high beam assist. But I am talking about the dipped beams. I see you have a Facelift 2020 E Class. If you have the ILS on your vehicle, then test your light patterns with the ILS turned on and also off. You will see what I mean.

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why turn it off? I leave it on high beam permanently and let the computers do their work.
There is no dipped beam as such, the 84 leds in each headlight switch on and off as required to avoid dazzle.

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why turn it off? I leave it on high beam permanently and let the computers do their work.
There is no dipped beam as such, the 84 leds in each headlight switch on and off as required to avoid dazzle.
Because when the ILS is on, the raised parts (on my picture) are present only during some times and whilst driving. Whereas if you turn the ILS off, the raised parts are there constantly.

My concern, is not only is it dazzling oncoming drivers when the raised part is present, but it is also on the wrong side of the road which is illegal in the UK.

Please refer to my images and see how the raised part is on the right (which is illegal) as opposed to the left which is legal requirement for the UK. Picture of UK legal beam patterns below:

1613496277054.png

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I still do not understand why you would turn it off, when it does such a brilliant job of preventing dazzle.

In your photo it is the LEFT side that is raised. Why are you so worried? You have been told that they are OK.
Just leave it enabled and enjoy the car as this chap is doing!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Well I still do not understand why you would turn it off, when it does such a brilliant job of preventing dazzle.

In your photo it is the LEFT side that is raised. Why are you so worried? You have been told that they are OK.

a brilliant job of reducing dazzle..... on a Mercedes with LEDs ???? That doesn't even compute...

they are class leaders on dangerous dazzle. whilst driving you may see it morph for the car in front, but what about the poor guy coming towards you totally blinded....and now karson3270 offers a reason why its so bad and you haven't got his (worrying) point at all???

check the text of his post again the photo is what it needs to do in the UK... but his car is doing the opposite and Merc dealers to incompetent to fix

index.php

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I think you have gotten it wrong. The picture that I just shared is what a normal UK legal beam pattern looks like. The original post contains the light pattern of my current car.

With regards to "turning it off". I am have simply turned this off so I can show you without my car moving.

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Botus, It does the same for the guy coming towards you of course!

It does NOT dazzle on coming drivers and I have NEVER been flashed by anyone.

No I do not get his point at all about pointing headlamps at a wall with the system off.
He has has had them checked and been told they are working correctly more than once.

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does the same for the guy coming towards you of course!

It does NOT dazzle on coming drivers and I have NEVER been flashed by anyone.

No I do not get his point at all about pointing headlamps at a wall with the system off.
He has has had them checked and been told they are working correctly more than once.
You have never been flashed because I am sure your light patterns are correct for the UK, which mine are not. This is why I am asking for pictures of people patterns so I can show the engineers that mine are quite clearly wrong.

Take a look at the below picture of my beam pattern and tell me that the part circled is on the left side of the beam pattern (as on the above picture):

1613498103003.png

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think you have gotten it wrong. The picture that I just shared is what a normal UK legal beam pattern looks like. The original post contains the light pattern of my current car.

With regards to "turning it off". I am have simply turned this off so I can show you without my car moving.

Okay, I misunderstood the image. That "legal" image is from what sort of headlight, it has a definite higher part.

On yours it looks more like a flat beam to me in the photo. I think I have to give up on this as comparing old technology fixed beam headlights to dynamic LED headlights make no sense to me.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Okay, I misunderstood the image. That "legal" image is from what sort of headlight, it has a definite higher part.

On yours it looks more like a flat beam to me in the photo. I think I have to give up on this as comparing old technology fixed beam headlights to dynamic LED headlights make no sense to me.
Hey Jimbg, do you have the new 2020 E class? If so, could you park it in front of the wall and take pictures of beam pattern. OP has started this thread to compare his model to others, as the beam pattern is clearly wrong. He only turns the ILS off for photos (as the blips in the photo don’t appear on standstill). When you get going, is when ILS turns on the blips.

It looks like a software issue with OPs car. If you could help him get evidence to prove this, then that’d be grateful - after all, that’s what these forums are for :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what happens if you change the choice? does it swap ?

could it be a translation issue and it should say "right side wheel" inferring which side of the car does the driver sit on ????

you don't usually refer to cars the way those menu options work...

RHD is the right and correct side of the road for sensible users - it stems from the whip hand of the carriage driver so it doesn't get caught in the trees
LHD is for countries that persist on driving on the wrong side of the road - and stems purely from a temper tantrum by napoleon

Last edited:

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do have one and no local suitable walls nearby unfortunately. We do not live in a built up area and the Devon countryside is full of narrow roads with high hedges. :)
If I am out at night in a town I will try, but very unlikely during lock down. :(

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
what happens if you change the choice? does it swap ?
No the line is simply flat, no raised parts at all even with ILS on/off.
I do have one and no local suitable walls nearby unfortunately. We do not live in a built up area and the Devon countryside is full of narrow roads with high hedges. :)
If I am out at night in a town I will try, but very unlikely during lock down. :(
Thanks - images to help me highlight this issue to the technicians would be very helpful.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hey Karson, Have you checked if there is any settings in the instrument cluster ie drivers screen (right screen)? Local MB mechanic said there might be a setting in there for left / right hand side traffic. Ie go home, and look for some lighting settings there. He’s not at work atm, so only educated guesses...

OP
K

Karson3270

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey Karson, Have you checked if there is any settings in the instrument cluster ie drivers screen (right screen)? Local MB mechanic said there might be a setting in there for left / right hand side traffic. Ie go home, and look for some lighting settings there. He’s not at work atm, so only educated guesses...
I did have a look this morning, so far nothing as it is all in the instrument cluster on the screen in the middle.

I have also noticed this morning at around 8:10am when it is a bit lighter that the raised part is present even when stopped, as I pulled up to towards the garage outside the shutters, the screens dimmed and the nav colour changed to black as if to say it is night time, and the raised parts disappeared. Strange. But the raised part is also present whilst driving at night around 7pm...

Top Bottom