E-Class Command Unit W211

C

ChrisUK01

Howdy,

My Merc is at the Mercedes garage because the stereo sat nav switches off at night. If this needs replacing I have been given a ball park figure of 1700 quid!

But we are not there yet as it might not need replacing. Does anyone know how much the Sat Nav/Command Unit is the small screen one and the big screen one?

Does anyone know where I can get one from other than Mercedes?

Also does anyknow know if the manufacturer of the head units has a web site and contact details?

If the unit needs replacing I am afraid the car may have to go as it is 7 years old and probably only worth 8K.

Cheers

Chris.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
7 years old means it was made by Bosch, why not have a go with Bosch to see if it can be fixed.,,,saying that you say it shuts off at night, is that all of it, or just the navigation part, this does not add up as a fault in the Comand.

There are plenty on Ebay for a 211.

It still alarms me that MB have allowed a situation where no service seems readily available to these things, there are loads of service firms out there that would jump at the chance to service these things given the service info

OP
C

ChrisUK01

Everything switches off and comes back on so like resets the whole unit no power.

The only thing with e-bay is I do not want to end up buying a stolen unit not saying they all are but if you know what I mean?

Thanks I will contact bosche.

Your right why do they not service them or fix them its crazy any other electrical consumer goods would be fixed!

Cheers

Chris.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe a silly suggestion - but why at night - does this reset co-incide with automatic headlights coming on?

Hello and welcome,,not a silly suggestion and that is going through my mind, its also a fault that has never been up before.

It must be worth trying it with that feature switched off

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I don't have COMMAND so this might be completely off the wall, but my Navman sat nat has a day setting and a night setting. Does COMMAND have a night setting? Could this be the problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't have COMMAND so this might be completely off the wall, but my Navman sat nat has a day setting and a night setting. Does COMMAND have a night setting? Could this be the problem?

The Comand does have a system menu if it is the DX version where the day time/ night time can be via the Comand button, or via the car sensor or both

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
yes but thats just for display dimming, it wont actually shut down. can the fault be replicated at will? is there a certain thing that happens before it shuts down, maybe a bump in the road

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Contact www.comand.co.uk who are expert in retro fitiing COMAND and repairs, I believe.

OP
P

PanzerMcGrory

Howdy,

My Merc is at the Mercedes garage because the stereo sat nav switches off at night. If this needs replacing I have been given a ball park figure of 1700 quid!

But we are not there yet as it might not need replacing. Does anyone know how much the Sat Nav/Command Unit is the small screen one and the big screen one?

Does anyone know where I can get one from other than Mercedes?

Also does anyknow know if the manufacturer of the head units has a web site and contact details?

If the unit needs replacing I am afraid the car may have to go as it is 7 years old and probably only worth 8K.

Cheers

Chris.

Keep the car and buy a 50p road atlas ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes but thats just for display dimming, it wont actually shut down. can the fault be replicated at will? is there a certain thing that happens before it shuts down, maybe a bump in the road

This is the fault that it shuts down when it dims

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Contact www.comand.co.uk who are expert in retro fitiing COMAND and repairs, I believe.

They do not repair comand units, its an opportunity missed as there is a big market for this, If I had been 10 years younger I would have started up a repair service for them, I have all of the test gear to do it, and the know how

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if so, then he should be able to replicate the fault by manually switching the display to night/day to prove the case?

Indeed he could cover the sensor and see what happens, if the switching control part is at fault, then disabling the feature it would be OK

OP
C

ChrisUK01

Howdy,

It was me that posted the original thread last year its just I got round to taking it Mercedes.

The fault is intermittent happens any time it is dark many times as well.

Not the biggest problem at the moment as I have been told that I need an injector, torque converter and probably a new gear box. Guys recommendation is to part ex the car.

What a reliable car!

Cheers for the replies guys!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Howdy,

It was me that posted the original thread last year its just I got round to taking it Mercedes.

The fault is intermittent happens any time it is dark many times as well.

Not the biggest problem at the moment as I have been told that I need an injector, torque converter and probably a new gear box. Guys recommendation is to part ex the car.

What a reliable car!

Cheers for the replies guys!

Not good is it for a flagship car

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I remember when the 211 first come out, was seeing Nealy 2 or 3 a week with flat batterys due to the command staying awake, that was a busy time for me back then!!

OP
C

ChrisUK01

I love driving the car but it is **** poor if I had the money I would get a Lexus at least it would be reliable.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 500 is a joy to drive, but the faults would have killed me off if I had not been able to fix myself. S-A-M's STAR print out used 4 pages of faults, but I ignore them as most do not really exist

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I have said before malc, (and this is a new star) it shakes when it gets to close to your car!!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom