E class diesel E320?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
ST4, it was you that saved me from the V6 woes, thanks very much! Good call on the rad, will get it checked over as soon as I have the car.

As for rust, it seems pretty much free of corrosion, but I'll be checking the usual places when the car is on my driveway.

Good, great performers but **** reliability takes most of the joy away from them

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E320T, S124, W124, Sportline
How have you been getting on? Apologies if I have missed the news...

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
ST4, thank you for your excellent post. If I have paid attention to the advice on the whole of this brilliant if slightly sad thread, I need;

A 2004/5 E270,
A 2004/5 i6 E320.

Earlier v6 320's will hurt me very badly by having failed 7G governors, manifold flap and motor fails and turbo oil leaks.

A 2 yr old E220 would be my best long term bet, but will probably be out of range financially.

I have a batch of watched 270 and 320's on fleabag and have even found my ideal combination of dark blue and light leather. No cars on Pistonheads though, and Trader is not giving me as many matches. The search, thanks to you guys, is ON!

Anyone want a low miles (79k) scabby looking C240? Or a 78k mile old 98 VW Polo 1.4?

;-)

try gumtree.com

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First drives

I picked the car up yesterday, all cleaned and shiny. First impressions are smooth, rolling torque and lots of refinement. Not at all easy for a petrol head and clatterer hater to admit. ;o)

However, now I have 100 miles under my new wheels there are two thingas bothering me already.

A clonk at lower road speeds over undulations and bumps, sounds like the nearside front, and sounds like the same issue as I had when my W124 anti roll bar bishes wanted replacement. Have you ever heard the knocking on a W211?

Secondly, the car runs too cold. 50-60 at speeds under motorway, and on the motorway it only got to 70C for a brief moment. Thermostat?

Car came with a 3 month warranty so I have warned the dealer I got the car from that it needs attending to.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Bet it is the anti roll bar drop links.

And the plus is when you change the thermostat you should see an increase in MPG.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Two very common 211 failings.

Thermostat (easy to fix yourself - see my DIY thread for details:)).

Knocking could well be outer front ball joints, or possibly ARB lnks. Both are easy to fix, and both really common. If it's the ball joints then don't buy the whole lower arm - waste of money - just get the joints and press the old ones out and the new ones in. This can be done on the car too.

There is a menu of problems which seems to affect most if not all 211 users. You simply have to work your way through them - just like the rest of us!

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This morning, the car sulked.....

Turned key and got whirring of fans under bonnet and ESP message on dials. Eh? Frantic turning and removing of key did nothing so I had to resort to the handbook. Following the advice of turning the steering wheel one way and then the other (not easy with no assistance), the car restarted no problem.

I've called the dealer I bought from and he is going to have the car in to look over the issues so far which are:

Clonking suspension,
Melted seat belt receiver in the back,
Car not warming to 80C,
ESP warning and car disabled,
Tailgate hard to lift and "notchy".

Fair play to him, at least he has offered to sort it.

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LOL, I think the former keeper was smoker and got lucky with a fag end landing on the plastic, and not the leather. The inside of the car is otherwise clean and tidy...

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This morning, the car sulked.....

Turned key and got whirring of fans under bonnet and ESP message on dials. Eh? Frantic turning and removing of key did nothing so I had to resort to the handbook. Following the advice of turning the steering wheel one way and then the other (not easy with no assistance), the car restarted no problem.

I've called the dealer I bought from and he is going to have the car in to look over the issues so far which are:

Clonking suspension,
Melted seat belt receiver in the back,
Car not warming to 80C,
ESP warning and car disabled,
Tailgate hard to lift and "notchy".

Fair play to him, at least he has offered to sort it.

Car went to Robin Lamb for the D+ service which as been done. He also fixed the clonking ront suspension, which was a ball joint failed due to a PO fitting the replacement road springs upside down!!!!

The ESP issue and non starting is still going on though. Apparently the STAR showed no issues, which I find hard to believe on such a serious message? So, am asking the supplying dealer to sort this car out for me;

"Good morning. The car refused to start this morning, with the same symptoms that it has showed every damp morning. ESP fail, main fan full on, start disabled. It was only a light dew and yet the car failed, again.

This is going to be a major issue when the weather turns wetter and renders the car useless. Currently I am the only one with the confidence to use the car and I'd not want Justine driving Poppy anywhere where she will have to rely on the thing starting of a morning.

As Robin Lamb was unable to locate the issue, I'd suggest allowing a dealer to look at it. The fault must be stored in memory and a full CANBUS check using STAR would show where the issue lies. It is also apparent that the thermostat was not replaced during the 2 days the car was Robin Lambs. The car takes an age to warm up, never gets to temp on my morning commute and the heater is struggling to heat the cabin. It will also be using a lot more fuel as the fuel mapping will be running the richer map until the car gets to operating temp (80C) which will also be killing the particulate filter in the exhaust and costing me MPG.

As this is our main family car, I need these issues resolved. We are moving house on Wednesday this week so you can imagine the stress and worry that goes along with that situation. I really don't need a £7k, 2 tonne paperweight on my drive.....

Let me know how you would like to proceed? I'll be in meetings and away from my desk most of the day so if you can find time to respond via email, that would be great.

Regards,

Jim"

Let's see what the response is. He has been pretty good up to now, but I want my car FIXED!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My mind has gone blank, this non start with fan on full, Alex has answered that loads of time

OP
M

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex has, and that is why I know the dealer has to fix this. Either software update, or ECU replace. One is much cheaper than the other.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
He also fixed the clonking ront suspension, which was a ball joint failed due to a PO fitting the replacement road springs upside down!!!!

Is this the 211? If so, that is impossible!

The 211 front spring has the bottom coil much narrower than the rest of the coils on the spring. This is so it seats on the perch on the strut. If upside down, there would be nothing to hold the spring in place and therefore the front of the car would be on the floor with the spring loose and able to rattle about free around the strut.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom