e class front end squeak

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
Hi All
My S210 has developed a nasty front end squeak. Mostly from one side but I guess whatever needs changing on one side will also need doing on t'other.

I'm going to look at the lower control arm and the top ball joint to find the culprit at the weekend but I was hoping for some advice as to whether they are fairly easy to change?

The squeak worsens with steering wheel movement but is also present over the slightest bump. Its doing my crust in.

I think I'll need a trolley jack and a ball joint splitter but was not sure how to start. I also thought t that I would go the whole hog and order some new springs, anti roll bar bushes and shocks while I had the car off the road and while I was having open wallet surgery.
Thanks

SteveX

Reaction score
Could be many things unfortunately, but I have had bump stops make this noise as well.

On my other car the bump stop became dry and was not sitting quite right, I greased the shaft and bump stop and it shut up straight away.

Also the top mount rubber can creak.

I'm not sure if it is a simialr set up to the 209, but the lower arm I changed was a bit of a mission, as the ball joint inserted from above, not underneath the mounting, meaning I had to take the suspension turret out to get it on / off to press it out.

All in was about a 1.5 hr job.

Last edited:
OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
Could be many things unfortunately, but I have had bump stops make this noise as well.

On my other car the bump stop became dry and was not sitting quite right, I greased the shaft and bump stop and it shut up straight away.

Also the top mount rubber can creak.

I'm not sure if it is a simialr set up to the 209, but the lower arm I changed was a bit of a mission, as the ball joint inserted from above, not underneath the mounting, meaning I had to take the suspension turret out to get it on / off to press it out.

All in was about a 1.5 hr job.

Thanks Steve. I think the W210 front end is a little different ..though I am not too sure but I'll take a good nose around on the weekend and report back

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
Had a good look yesterday. There doesn't seem to be much movement on the lower control arm and the top ball joint seems in good knick too. The anti roll bar arm looked like it was very lined and the bush on the anti roll (sway) bar looked very worn. Are either of these likely to be a cause for a squeak?I've noticed it squeaks when stood still and if I just turn the steering wheel.
Thanks

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Get a can of sprat silicone...and soak the bushes...in dry weather they can get a little squeaky.

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
Get a can of sprat silicone...and soak the bushes...in dry weather they can get a little squeaky.

Will do but,,,,,,,it's more than a little squeaky :)

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
If I was going to replace the sway bar bushes and the anti roll drop links, Is this fairly easy? It looks like the bushes need to be slid on to the sway bar so the ARDL needs to come off anyway. I can see a bolt holding the ARDL at the base but the top looks like it just pushes on. Is this correct?
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The problem is with ball joints, in particularly the lower one is they get water and rust in them, this taking out any play. these are a common fault.

Do spray all the roll bar and drop links as said to eliminate them

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
The problem is with ball joints, in particularly the lower one is they get water and rust in them, this taking out any play. these are a common fault.

Do spray all the roll bar and drop links as said to eliminate them

Will report back manana.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
It won't be the ball joint end, it will be the bush end that is squeaking. I fixed one by replacing with a Lemforder, the other I drilled (as the fronts are hollow) and filled it with red rubber grease via syringe and it cured the squeak, temporaraly of course !

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
Had a good look at all joints and bushes. The lower ball joint at the front has some deteriation. The rubber is split so I'm hoping has the issue. Bit concerned at the comment that ball joints don't squeak though. Vamos a ver.
Will report back when work complete.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Don't be too concerned that the ball joint may not squeak. It is likely that you will be replacing the whole suspension arm anyway, so both ball joint and bush will be new. You will see.

OP
B

barch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E290 - S210/1997
#Just to close this off, Replaced front ball joint and all ok.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom