E Class Reliability?

grendawkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
I am thinking of buying a 2003 270Cdi E class with 42k on the clock.
However I have heard this model and year can be unreliable with lots of electrical faults and has been the subject of numerous recalls.
I would be most grateful for any feedback before I take the plunge.
Many thanks.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd have to agree 2003 isn't the greatest year for electrical issues and it may not have nano paint or be galvanised. Plus check for the dreded Valeo radiator. If those things check out then I'd be tempted if the price is right as, aside from that, the E270 is a fabulous motor - but then mine is a late 04 model so avoids those pitfalls.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I'd have to agree 2003 isn't the greatest year for electrical issues and it may not have nano paint or be galvanized. Plus check for the dreaded Valeo radiator. If those things check out then I'd be tempted if the price is right as, aside from that, the E270 is a fabulous motor - but then mine is a late 04 model so avoids those pitfalls.

I had a 2003 (53) E 320 CDI, manufactured 09 2003. It was fine from every point of view. The only problem occurred when one of the recalls malfunctioned (driver's seat belt socket). Annoyingly, the original one had been faultless.

I believe the car was galvanized and had nano paint (although it had not at that point been announced to the market).

Note the points made by jberks, but I think you will find it to be an outstanding car.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Cars produced in 2003 were fully galvanised on all steel panels. See this thread: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

BUT note you must check the production date (near enough the delivery date) and not just the date of first registration.

I had a 2004 E270cdi and it was faultless but there is no doubt that the later the build date the more reliable -on average- the E's seem to get.

One of the problems is that not all owners use dealer servicing and so they will not have had the many updates done. This can affect reliability. My view is that fullMBSH is your safest bet and if you buy from an MB dealer you will get a full 12 month warranty. Others will no doubt give the opposing view.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Cars produced in 2003 were fully galvanised on all steel panels. See this thread: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

BUT note you must check the production date (near enough the delivery date) and not just the date of first registration.

I had a 2004 E270cdi and it was faultless but there is no doubt that the later the build date the more reliable -on average- the E's seem to get.

One of the problems is that not all owners use dealer servicing and so they will not have had the many updates done. This can affect reliability. My view is that fullMBSH is your safest bet and if you buy from an MB dealer you will get a full 12 month warranty. Others will no doubt give the opposing view.
I agree that the 12 month MB warranty is very useful, if there are any recalls or updates due then take the VIN number into any Mercedes dealer and they can check the system for you.
I have a colleague at work with a E280CDI the same age as my E320 and he has never been near a dealer in 75K miles, he bought it new and has it serviced at an independent. He has had exactly the same recalls as me and now he is looking at changing it for a new E and the the price he has been given is exactly the same as if it was full MBSH.

ruane

Reaction score
I got an '03 E270CDI. Apparantly the SBC pump is a known issue (according to the seller). Mine was replaced by MB before i bought it, so i was happy. Mine also developed a blocked catalytic converter, suspected result of never being revved much by previous owner, it let carbon build up inside and blocked it - i got the cat removed altogether and replaced it with stainless steel piping. Other than that it's a fine car. Mine had 92k on her, 42k is very low miles. I always multiply the cars age in years by 15 or 20 to get what i expect to be 'normal expected' milage. Not ****ing on your parade or anything, just make sure everything is right before you buy, and enjoy the car. They're smooth and quicker than they look

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There are no problems now with the electrics as this has long been sorted out, just go for a 04-03 build date on and you will have a fine car

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I agree that the 12 month MB warranty is very useful, if there are any recalls or updates due then take the VIN number into any Mercedes dealer and they can check the system for you.
I have a colleague at work with a E280CDI the same age as my E320 and he has never been near a dealer in 75K miles, he bought it new and has it serviced at an independent. He has had exactly the same recalls as me and now he is looking at changing it for a new E and the the price he has been given is exactly the same as if it was full MBSH.

I wasn't arguing the resale value point -just reliability. I know E class owners who have paid for gearbox work on the 7 speed box which was cured free with software updates by dealers.

I also accept that by the time the 280cdi version came out the number of updates being done had dwindled to very low figures. But the OP was looking at possibly earlier cars and, on these, updates are more critical.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wasn't arguing the resale value point -just reliability. I know E class owners who have paid for gearbox work on the 7 speed box which was cured free with software updates by dealers.

I also accept that by the time the 280cdi version came out the number of updates being done had dwindled to very low figures. But the OP was looking at possibly earlier cars and, on these, updates are more critical.
I've had at least 4 software upgrades on my 7G box, all at my request because of the very occasional harsh downshift, non have made any difference to the operation of the box. I have also had a valve pack changed under warranty because of a fault.

OP
G

grendawkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
Scary

I'd have to agree 2003 isn't the greatest year for electrical issues and it may not have nano paint or be galvanised. Plus check for the dreded Valeo radiator. If those things check out then I'd be tempted if the price is right as, aside from that, the E270 is a fabulous motor - but then mine is a late 04 model so avoids those pitfalls.

I must admit these references to Valeo Radiators and Galvanised body are putting me off quite a bit.
I have also checked on the Honest John Website and the comments there about rust and wrecked transmissions are very scary.
How can I check if the car I am looking at is galvanised and does not have the Valeo radiator.
The car is for sale at a Mercedes dealer.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Could sit here and list a number of faults with the 642 V6 engine,

Listed many times by me on different threads on here!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you buy a car built after 04-04 you will be safe on every count and have a very good car, the valeo problem finished in 30-09-03, cars from 04-03 were all galvanized so no problem there also. Cars from 04-04 also have the Nono paint.

There is nothing else out there as nice as a 211 to drive

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
If you buy a car built after 04-04 you will be safe on every count and have a very good car, the valeo problem finished in 30-09-03, cars from 04-03 were all galvanized so no problem there also. Cars from 04-04 also have the Nono paint.

There is nothing else out there as nice as a 211 to drive

221/216 there nicer Malc!!!

Just being picky Malc:D:D:D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
when I get old :confused:

Now that is something you will never do my man;):cool::cool:

Ah I note my posting has reached 888 is that significant? will I be visited by a dark force or perhaps 7 vestal virgins:):) knowing my luck cos if I bought a duck it would sink, they are more likely to be 7 old boilers.

Last edited:

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Valeo radiators are well known. I would check if one is fitted and if so insist it is replaced before buying. Once replaced that risk is gone. If not replaced get a quote and build it into your budget to get it done.

Marco Polo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d SE 4Matic

Maybe, but the OP is not thinking of buying a V6 so he should not be discouraged by your bad experiences :)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
E CLASS -211 series- saloon and estates: -

All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 1, 2003, production onwards.
During the previous quarter (Q4, 2002) the process was gradually introduced
on the production line and therefore some vehicles were galvanised during
this lead-up period, but not all.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Yes they certainly have been though you haven't mentioned anywhere that I have seen, that modifications and updates have been provided free by MB dealers to address the problems which you mention and which occurred on the earlier engines.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom