1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle E Class tailgate issue

Discussion in 'Mercedes Car Classifieds' started by goldy, Dec 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Update - Since lowering the opening height I've had no issues so far. No banging, no clumping and touch wood no failures.
    Spoke to the extended warranty people who say I should have further claims approved as Marshalls have already claimed for the fault.
    Marshalls have still not responded to me despite Merc CEO office referring to their senior management and promising me a response. Shocking from Merc and their dealers.
    Thanks again to everyone for your invaluable help.

2. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Thanks for the update good to know it’s behaving

3. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

All too good to be true. It's failed again today! Joy

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Attempting to open and close it manually is a battle.
    Feels like it's going to break. Plenty of force needed and a sputtering noise when it's being pushed.

Any ideas?

5. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    It's not a lubrication issue (to me) it's not right so needs to go back for them to sort. You will have to show them how you're opening and closing it and the issues you're facing. If they can show you it working perfectly time after time then there is something else going on.

6. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Difficult to say what’s the best course of action, as it’s under warranty back to the dealer I suppose.

I’d be interested to know what happens when the drive motor connecting rod is disconnected, it should move freely and if it does it’s the motor which is at fault and needs replacing. Probably a good idea to do this with their technician and press for a replacement motor, I don’t see how they can dodge the issue then, much better than the ‘leave it with us’ situation

7. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

The problem is the dealers have said they dont know how to fix it.
    Nightmare.
    Thank you.

8. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    That's not your problem...
    You take it to them, and they then contact Mercedes Technical (or another adult...) and they will then sort it out and you don't want it back until it is sorted out and they can put you in a nice courtesy car (Service Manager usually has a nice one). You are much much much nicer than me...

9. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

I've had months of he'll with them.
    They won't answer my emails or calls.

10. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Time to start threatening them with trading standards or the ombudsman....

11. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Ombudsman complaint logged but nothing happening after 4 weeks.
    The dealers lie to people regardless. Can't win with them.

12. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Dealer won't speak to me. MBUK have said they won't get involved as Marshalls have told them their legal team has been in touch with me (which they havent).
    Manual operation is almost stopping as the force needed becomes heavy.
    Oiling it stopped the groans but eventually they come back and then the stopping occurs.
    Got to be a motor problem.
    Local Indy looked at it and said it was fine, which at the time it was freshly oiled.
    I have proof of 2 warranty claims by the dealer who now say they can't fix and involve their legal team. Feel really let down by Merc.

13. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Marshalls Mercedes now deny a fault. Refuse to provide job cards and state that warranty claims were precautionary.
    Now saying the issue is down to improper use by me.
    Pressing a button on the key fob is now improper use.
    Blatant lies being told.

14. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

All this can’t be good for the blood pressure, my view would be to sort it out with an Indy but you may prefer to start legal proceedings.

If you decide to sort this out yourself there are a lot of drive motors on eBay just make sure you get the right year/part number. Motors seem to command circa £150 and I would have thought a similar amount for fitting

15. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Read their response again and they state that they changed a part under warranty in case it was damaged in the accident.
    12 months after the accident I should add.
    This should have them bang to rights. If there is no fault as they claim then why replace parts? If accident related then must be insurer responsibility, not warranty.
    2 branches contradicting each other again. Blackpool stated not accident or repair issue, Preston saying not faulty but must be accident and/or poor repair.
    Couldn't make it up.

16. Mrtibbs

Mrtibbs Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211 E320 Estate 2005
    Thanks for the informative replies chaps, I have this problem occasionally, mostly when the weather is dry..... I will give this a go. I guess the same will apply to the door mirrors as they groan when folding in under locking the car.....
    Thanks all

Keith

17. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Update- when it failed last time I tried the furniture polish tip an indie gave me. Sprayed hinges and motor ball joint.
    Not failed since.
    Today I decided to take the limiter off the height and tried again. Not failed but when reaching the top the motor stops with a bang and a visible jump.
    Set to a lower height again and smooth as.
    Gonna get it booked into a different dealers if I can't put up with it.
    Something has definitely changed with the lubricating tjough. Now think it's been put back together with dry parts previously and Malcolm was spot on.

18. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Let’s hope so it does take some time for the oil to work into the moving parts, oiled mine several times before it decided to behave itself

19. OP
    goldy

goldy Senior Member

Releases with a different tone now. Was a clunk before but now sounds like a briefcase lock being flicked open.
    Only worry presently is the bang and jump in the motor at the end of full opening. A second or so delay then the bang, as if a switch has been flicked after it finished opening. Next time it may be much quieter or no jump.
    Pointing back to motor again.
    I closed manually earlier and smooth as. No resistance whatsoever which wasn't the case before.
    Again I have fingers and toes crossed!!