Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the details for you, just need an Email address

Fady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport S212 Estate
Cheers - thanks.

I don't believe there is a great difference in this respect between standard and AMG bumpers, at least for the pre-facelift bumper. I've been on a US forum looking for info and this was something I gleaned (though I couldn't actually find anything that was a help by way of instruction).

I did in fact go into a dealer this morning looking for advice. The chap at the service desk said there was only one technician in and I could not get to even speak with him because he already had his hands full. Hopefully I can pick up the special tool next weekend.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it,,it makes no difference having AMG bumpers

lutters

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 320cdi
Front Park sensors

Malcolm,

Could you please send me the details as I have an intermittent water ingestion problem I would like to fix. My first six vin is 211026

many thanks,

John

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent them john,,you have 2 hours to delete your address in edit

Fady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport S212 Estate
Well after several abortive attempts, I have finally got around to fixing this.

Malcolm sent me the instructions to remove/install parking sensors (thanks for that), and this referred back to a second set of instructions to remove/install the bumper protective strip (document ref AR88.80-P-2220T) - so this is what I really required. So I purchased my own set of the EPC/WIS DVDs (for the princely sum of a tenner off ebay). I then placed an order for the special tool "long wedge" (part no. 115 589 03 59 00) which is just a long plastic wedge.

So everything is as previously described above...but it can be difficult to visualise until you actually do it yourself. Then it's an absolute doddle. The protective strip costs around £145 to replace and if you are unlucky you can also damage the bumper - so this is why I erred on the side of caution.

So the instructions read as follows:

1. Protect the paint on the bumper above and below the strip with masking tape to avoid damaging the paint

2. Unclip the protective strip at the catch hooks with the long wedge. There are 6 clips, 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom. The first two are located at the wing side of the strip about 1 or 2 cm or so in and the other 4 are either side of the bumper curvature. "Unclipping" really means inserting the wedge between the bumper and the strip. This is the bit I didn't get! The wedge goes in horizontally and presses down on the lip of the clips and a gentle tug releases them from the bumper. Once the first one is out the next ones become easier to get to.

3. Once all 6 clips have been released you can then pull the front of the strip away by holding it at the top and bottom at the curvature to release the hooks that are behind this section.

Hopefully this and the pictures above make this clearer. It's a ten minute job and you could probably get away with using say a wide flat-headed screw driver wrapped in insulating tape, but there's much less chance of scratching the paintwork with the plastic wedge.

Last edited:

ChrisPidwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI Avantgarde W211
Interesting thread. However, I would like to replace the insert as trhe chrome trim is dented and badly damaged with the chrome flaking off.

As mentioned previously the insets costs about £150 per side (yikes). Does anyone have any ideas about repair of these chrome strips or even, used replacements?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting thread. However, I would like to replace the insert as trhe chrome trim is dented and badly damaged with the chrome flaking off.

As mentioned previously the insets costs about £150 per side (yikes). Does anyone have any ideas about repair of these chrome strips or even, used replacements?

Have you looked on the back side of the strips, to see how the chrome strips are held on

ChrisPidwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI Avantgarde W211
No as I cant the inserts off yet. Anyone have a spare plastic tool?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom