E class W211 front parking sensor loose

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
Hi,

I was washing my car the other day and managed to push one of the parking sensors in by about an inch.... :-(

My main dealer told me that I need to remove the bumber in order to get it out again.

Is the bumper esay to remove?

124coupe

Reaction score
Hi,

I was washing my car the other day and managed to push one of the parking sensors in by about an inch.... :-(

My main dealer told me that I need to remove the bumber in order to get it out again.

Is the bumper esay to remove?

If its the Avantgarde then the sensors should be in the bumper insert?

The insert is just clipped in - carefully un clip at the outer edge (use a trim tool or a plastic spatula) and then slide sideways to release the inner clips.

OP
S

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
Thanks for the info. The parking sensors poke through the bumber insert with not enough play to slide the insert so I think I'll take the bumper/valance off. Malcom has sent some usefull stuff on how to do this.

124coupe

Reaction score
Strange - I was able to change the insert (they come pre-painted) without any trouble as the sensors just clip off?

type49

Reaction score
Depending on year, not model, the inserts are removable. Trouble is, I'm not sure when the changover was. You should be able to see whether there is a join or not. If so, start at the outer edge & unclip, the very inner edge is slid into place, so once loose, must be pulled away from the centre of the car. Does this make sense??

OP
S

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
I'm going to get some batteries for my camera and post a snap so you guys can see where I'm coming from... I've run out of milk so will be heading to the shop today... Oh the perils of living in the country!

Yes, type49 I do understand what you are saying. even if I do manage to remove the insert I wonder if there will be enough space to secure the parking sensor. I'm guessing something is broken for it to be soooo loose.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will take a peep at the sensors today

124coupe

Reaction score
I'm going to get some batteries for my camera and post a snap so you guys can see where I'm coming from... I've run out of milk so will be heading to the shop today... Oh the perils of living in the country!

Yes, type49 I do understand what you are saying. even if I do manage to remove the insert I wonder if there will be enough space to secure the parking sensor. I'm guessing something is broken for it to be soooo loose.

Well with my 06 211 its easy to drop the sensors off the insert as it comes out and then clip them back as it goes back - changing the insert was 10 mins work. Its certainly looks like the "in the insert" location is to facilitate changing them rather than taking workshop hours.

If there's insufficient slack in the wires to remove the insert, how are you planning to remove the whole bumper while simultaneously disconnecting 6 of them? The bumper is heavy and awkward by the way...and very easy to scratch or damage.

OP
S

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
I haven't done anything yet... from what you say the insert slides away from the numberplate once the outside end of it is unclipped. It looks to me as if the parking sensor will stop the insert sliding. I may be wrong of course - it wouldn't be the first time!

There is a picture attached of the loose sensor together with the middle sensor which looks like it will stop the insert sliding. Is this the same as yours?

I am worried that I'll break something...

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 159

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Pull the trim on the bend of the bumper, this will pull the tags out at both ends!!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
From memory i'm almost sure you can get at that sensor with the bonnet up and reach in behind the bumper from there... as SAM has posted pull the moulding from the corner , gently, and it will clip out..

124coupe

Reaction score
Ckecked on WIS and the official way is to remove the trim strip.

There are big holes in the bumper for the sensors so they don't foul.

OP
S

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
Thanks for all the help and advice. Didn't realise that the parking sensors are acrtually mounted in the insert. Managed to get it off now! Hurrah!

Photgraph attached for anybody that wants to look...

Cheers.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 157

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just for anyone reading, not all of the strips come off on all cars

Fady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport S212 Estate
Thanks for all the help and advice. Didn't realise that the parking sensors are acrtually mounted in the insert. Managed to get it off now! Hurrah!

Photgraph attached for anybody that wants to look...

Cheers.

Simon

Hi

I've got the same problem! I found your post via Google. Any chance of a little more detail, as it's not obvious from your pictures exactly how to get started or what the sequence of events is.

Thanks in advance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi

I've got the same problem! I found your post via Google. Any chance of a little more detail, as it's not obvious from your pictures exactly how to get started or what the sequence of events is.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome,,I should be able to send you some details for doing this job

Fady

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport S212 Estate
Can you post up the first 6 VIN numbers please

Ok - VIN begins WDB211226...... (though FWIW, factory bumpers were replaced with AMG ones by previous owner).

OP
S

simons-d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)
Fady, I bought the MB special tool as described in WIS. I'm sure that when you get info from Malcom you will know what to do. Not sure about AMG bumbers though...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom