E/CLS55 & CLS63 5.5 - LSD?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I'm looking at a few contenders for another car to add to the fleet and a E/CLS55 or CLS63 5.5 are at the top of the MB options however, I cannot find some information I'm after.

Do either of these have a Limited Slip Diff as standard?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
The CLS63 does not have LSD as standard. Don't know about the 55.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DSK

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm looking at a few contenders for another car to add to the fleet and a E/CLS55 or CLS63 5.5 are at the top of the MB options however, I cannot find some information I'm after.

Do either of these have a Limited Slip Diff as standard?
I can feel another excellent new car thread coming up buddy :geek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Only available as par of the Performance Pack (I forget what the code was on the build sheet now), fitting an aftermarket is possible though

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Generally only the PP Versions came with LSD as standard so none of those you mention will have it (Unless optioned which I think was option 256- Maybe Daveenty can confirm). Most of us fitted Quaife aftermarket with good results

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the share of knowledge on this. It would be nice to get something out of the box that I don't have to faff with but, if I'm impressed enough then I'll consider an aftermarket Quaife option. I do feel cars of this calibre really should have an LSD as standard.

I can feel another excellent new car thread coming up buddy :geek:

It could be while, took me 3 years to find my Supra once I'd made up my mind, and 4 years to find the S70R lol.

Trouble is I'm not a fan of new cars (they generally have no soul and lots more lol) and I no longer enjoy driving the way I used to, so the desire and need isn't the same now. I also buy with the intention to keep for eternity so they have to be robust, maintainable and not throw away computers. The addition of driving a 20 year old T5 for the last 10 years at 1,000 miles a week with track days thrown in, without even a glitch means I do not have the time for bullsh!t niggles and problems associated with cars.

This time, the search list is wide for me and not necessarily restricted to one.

- E/CLS55 : looks the best, seem to be robust and surely the Kompressors will rise in value.
- CLS 63 5.5 - lots around but my heart or head just aren't there. I'd rather have an M5 F10 but, its not got a strong reputation for reliability and my M5 ownership was far from bliss in this respect.
- Porsche 911 Turbo - a pleasant experience and hold their value like almost nothing else. They also look simple and elegant in this day and age.

Also I went through an attempted house burglary for cars on the drive last year whilst house sitting, as seen on many youtube video's but was saved in the nick of time by Thames Valley police's instant armed response, eagle eyed neighbours and happening to be gazing out of the window at the time, on a certain housing estate in Windsor. So this also heavily influences my decision nowadays.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There was this CLS55

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1279947

Mileage is low which would be a bonus but for me its the low number of owners I liked.
An MOT check reports an oil leak … at 50K?
There also appears to be a panel gapping issue (based on the photo) between the o/s/f wing and door.
The headlamps are also somewhat faded which is not consistent for a low mileage car.
I reached out to the owner a few weeks ago but, he said he's had a strong offer on it and I'd need to be quick but didn't elaborate on the questions I asked regarding the condition. Despite his strong offer, its still for sale.... So I've decided not to progress further.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
- Porsche 911 Turbo - a pleasant experience and hold their value like almost nothing else. They also look simple and elegant in this day and age.
911's are better than money in the bank, they come with LSD's as well :D
I'd look for a 997 GTS, it's possibly the only one I'd consider changing my C2S for

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
911's are better than money in the bank, they come with LSD's as well :D
I'd look for a 997 GTS, it's possibly the only one I'd consider changing my C2S for

The GTS was a unique model and personally, I'd take the normal 2S over the C4S I was given for a day. However, if I get one it will mostly likely be a low mileage 997 Turbo with the triptronic gearbox (knowing the manual's are more desirable).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The GTS was a unique model and personally, I'd take the normal 2S over the C4S I was given for a day. However, if I get one it will mostly likely be a low mileage 997 Turbo with the triptronic gearbox (knowing the manual's are more desirable).
That is a good option, I like the C2S with tiptronic and prefer it to the 4wd versions.
I've also just spent serious ££££ on mine so it should be good for the foreseeable - it is a keeper :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Am I on a Porsche forum now :rolleyes: ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Am I on a Porsche forum now :rolleyes: ?
No buddy
th

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Probably because I know little to nothing about them but I find it hard to tell what's what with Porsche- some really lovely cars are often advertised but seem to be tarted up versions of a previous generation or model. Think if I was thinking of one I'd have to consult an expert....seem more bulletproof dare I say than some other marques...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably because I know little to nothing about them but I find it hard to tell what's what with Porsche- some really lovely cars are often advertised but seem to be tarted up versions of a previous generation or model. Think if I was thinking of one I'd have to consult an expert....seem more bulletproof dare I say than some other marques...
I spent quite a lot of time researching before I bought mine. Lots of tarted up junk - one across the road from me at work - 996 with a 997 bodykit on...:shock:
Unmolested well maintained genuine cars with the right toys (and they were very expensive originally) are at a premium - but that goes for all makes.
They also thrive on being used

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I spent quite a lot of time researching before I bought mine. Lots of tarted up junk - one across the road from me at work - 996 with a 997 bodykit on...:shock:
Unmolested well maintained genuine cars with the right toys (and they were very expensive originally) are at a premium - but that goes for all makes.
They also thrive on being used
That's what prompted my comments, only one I looked at was exactly that- 996 with a 997 Body Kit, albeit a very well engineered one....this one was in Birmingham

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

To a point. They do have their niggles as anything but, it tends to be less of a headache by and large. The Turbo variants tend to have a strong history for mechanicals. Looking around them, a few big bits need to come off at the rear (bumper, intercoolers etc) to work on anything but, I think this is better than lots of smaller/complicated/expensive woes with other marques. I believe they can also be checked for over-rev events one the engine as well.

When working on a customers 911 (991), unwrapping it, it was so nice to have a simple mechanism to pop out the headlights, rear clusters and bumper were easy etc. So in a day and age where changing a bulb becomes a Vaseline job at a dealership, if the Porsche has some conventional bulb/xenon system I can see that being basic DIY.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To a point. They do have their niggles as anything but, it tends to be less of a headache by and large. The Turbo variants tend to have a strong history for mechanicals. Looking around them, a few big bits need to come off at the rear (bumper, intercoolers etc) to work on anything but, I think this is better than lots of smaller/complicated/expensive woes with other marques. I believe they can also be checked for over-rev events one the engine as well.

When working on a customers 911 (991), unwrapping it, it was so nice to have a simple mechanism to pop out the headlights, rear clusters and bumper were easy etc. So in a day and age where changing a bulb becomes a Vaseline job at a dealership, if the Porsche has some conventional bulb/xenon system I can see that being basic DIY.
Over revving events are stored in various degrees of “badness” however if you get a tiptronic it’s almost impossible so not an issue.
Turbo engines are generally very good. All of them benefit from oil and water getting fully to temp before canning them.
Headlights are probably the easiest to change if any vehicle I’ve ever had.
Simple tool in the tool kit, slide it into a hole on the inner wing and turn it 180’ the whole headlight is now disconnected and you can just lift the unit out. :)
Great engineering

Top Bottom