E200 CDi (W212) - Audio Help

azimabdul1983

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class / 2010 / E200 CDi
I bought a 2010 E200 CDi Sport (W212) which comes with built in sat nav, single CD player sound system. In the glove box there is a socket and I have 4 cables that can connect to that socket. One cable is for the old style Apple connector, I can connect this to my old iPhone 4 which I use as an iPod now. The other three cables are exactly the same, each has a USB connector to allow me to connect a USB (such as a USB stick) but the number on the sticker on each cable is slightly different.

I have connected my iPhone 4 to the cable and then connected that cable to the socket in the glove box. I then click on the CD button on the system, using the menu I click on 'Media' which brings up three options. Option 1 is greyed out and does not say anything, option 2 is the media interface and option 3 is the AUX.

I select option 2 and it says media interface not found, it does the same when I selection option 3 which is the AUX.

I have tried to plug in a regular 16gb usb memory stick, using all three USB cables and again it says media interface not found. I have tried formatting the USB stick as NTFS and as FAT32 and the same thing happens. In terms of the files on my USB, the folder structure is not complex at all:

• Root
    • Artist 1
      • Song (mp3 file format)
    • Artist 2
      • Song (mp3 file format)
  • Song (mp3 file format)

Is something missing? Am I not doing something correctly? Any help would be much appreciated...

All I want to achieve is to be able to plug in my USB stick with my music and use the controls on the car to navigate through my music collection. I don't know if my system is a "command" system, as a newbie if someone does need to know that how do I find out?

Also, I have had a look in the in the compartment under the centre armrest and there are not sockets or connection points in there. So the only connection point is the socket in the glove box.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have a feeling the the Media Interface for cars of that year (the same as mine) only work with the 6CD Changer option, not the single CD player. I suggest you give Commandonline a call or email with your VIN and they can check what your car has and what your options are. They are Forum supporters and well regarded on this forum.

Apart from that, you seem to be formatting the USB stick properly

Last edited:
OP
azimabdul1983

azimabdul1983

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a feeling the the Media Interface for cars of that year (the same as mine) only work with the 6CD Changer option, not the single CD player. I suggest you give Commandonline a call or email with your VIN and they can check what your car has and what your options are. They are Forum supporters and well regarded on this forum.

Apart from that, you seem to be formatting the USB stick properly
Thanks for the info, I will get the VIN and give them a ring and see where to go from there. I'll post an update after speaking with them just in case it helps someone else in similar situation.

OP
azimabdul1983

azimabdul1983

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got around to calling Commandonline and gave them my VIN, I have the APS 50 sound system and external devices should be connected via the 'Media Interface' connection in the glovebox. I have the cable for the old iPhone 4 connector and also for the USB, Commandonline suggested I try using a 2GB memory stick which I did and it unfortunately did not work.

The next step is to get the car booked in with Commandonline and get them to check it out, with the 2GB memory stick at the very least the car should have picked that up when plugged in. It is also not picking up the iPhone 4 which I use as an iPod. Over the coming few weeks I will look to get the car booked in.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom