E200 Running problem

twail

Reaction score
I have an 95 E200 petrol w124, for the last couple of weeks its been acting up.
It won't idle, and won't go past 4000rpm, although when it wams up abit it will rev through the range but still struggles on idle, and seems abit more sluggish.

I'v read that if the Battery is disconnected for an excssive period of time then it messes around with the ecu and maf?
My battery has been out on a number of occasion to put into a different car so I'd say that this will be the most likely cause.

So what the hell do i do?? Is it a matter of getting the ecu reset, or do i have to Buw a new maf? Any help appreciated!

Other problems to but not as important as the above!

-Abs light started coming on when you went over 75mph, and would tay on until engine was switched off(on my private track ofcourse) and now stays on all the time!Speed sensor?

-My starter is acting the fool with me too, seems to be sticking, a few taps with a hammer seems to fix it, but its getting worse and more annoying! Does it need a refurb, or just abit of a good internal clean?

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Hi, poor running and ABS light would say the OVP needs replacing, by the battery.
For the price of a 2nd hand starter I would just replace it, or you could just get a refurbed one from a factor.

OP
T

twail

Reaction score
Over Voltage Protection?? Expensive part?

Any way of testing if it is that?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could well be the OVP relay ,,, without a break out box you cannot get the the 87 pins that are all of the outputs.

On the late 124 car this will affect idle and ABS they cost about £60 there is a fuse on top and that could have blown, they can become dry jointed inside (the Austrian ones)and can be re soldered, but components can fail as well

OP
T

twail

Reaction score
It could well be the OVP relay ,,, without a break out box you cannot get the the 87 pins that are all of the outputs.

On the late 124 car this will affect idle and ABS they cost about £60 there is a fuse on top and that could have blown, they can become dry jointed inside (the Austrian ones)and can be re soldered, but components can fail as well

Cool thanks, I'll pull it off and have a look and see, What does it look like as there's a far bit of stuff in the battery tray?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its just behind the battery with a fuse on top built into the relay its about 30 x 30mm x 7cm longa and it will have 7 or 9 pins ,,only the 9 pin come now

OP
T

twail

Reaction score
Yep it was the fuse! Simple fix to a very annoying problem, i had stopped driving the car as it was annoying me so much! and i ended up taxing and driving the S4 which cost me a small fortune!

ABS light has gone off too!

Thanks alot lads.

OP
T

twail

Reaction score
Back again with a small issue.

When you initially start the car it seems to struggle on idle, but runs fine throughout the rev range.
Any ideas as to wha this could be?

Thanks

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello twail.

can you tell us which engine management you have? it may have the ecu mounted on the passenger side inner wing, or behind the battery near that ovp. if it has the ecu on the inner wing and no large diameter sensor on the intake pipe, just after the air filter, then it is PMS engine management and has no air mass sensor.

this system easily loses idle settings when the power is disconnected, it will re-learn eventualy but takes ages. it can be reset with a star machine (diagnostic computer), and i believe there is a way of manually resetting it - others here may know.

another possible cause is the idle recognition microswitch on the throttle body. it must be contacted by the mechanism on closed throttle, often a broken/missing return spring causes trouble here.

good luck!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom