E200 Starting Issues!

Khimario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200/1999/1998cc
Hi Guys,

I trust that you’re all doing fine.

Now, I have an e200 1999 model that has been serving me well until a few weeks when it started acting up when starting. This problem is always there no matter what time of the day but it’s normally harder in the morning or if the engine remains turned off for some time, say twenty minutes.

Even where the engine was running for some time before being put off for a few minutes… it always brings this problem when restarting. Normally, it cranks to life after a few tries and continues running normally until the engine is turned off again and the problem reemerges.

So far we’ve repaired the starter, replaced the alternator, and checked the battery, the fuel filter as well as the fuel pump. The car has also undergone service where all the necessary parts, including plugs, oil, oil filter, air cleaner… etc. were changed.

My mechanic thinks that a blown or worn out head gasket could be the culprit. However, after a casual search through the net, I think he’s taking me down the garden path. There’s nowhere I’ve seen anyone attempting to link car starting issues with a blown or worn out head gasket.

In addition, the car is not exhibiting any other signs that could point to a blown or worn out head gasket.

What do you think guys? Could the mechanic be right? Has anyone encountered such a problem before?

Thanks in advance and sorry for boring you with the long missive. I only wanted to express myself fully.

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Do you find the car difficult to start if the engine is warm/hot?

OP
K

Khimario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200/1999/1998cc
In both cases, whether warm or hot. But it's more of a problem when cold. Normally, when cold, i.e. in the morning, it takes a few tries for it to crank to life. On the other hand, it might only take one dragged crank to power the engine when it's warm.

OP
K

Khimario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200/1999/1998cc
Now, I've also noticed some water in the Air Intake Hose between the Air Flow Sensor and the Throttle... Is there anyone who has ever experienced this? Thanks.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom