E200 water leak

chris1804

Reaction score
hi new here, my father-in-law has just gave me a F REG E200 soloon merk but its got a water leak, ive found out were its coming from its the water pump but theres no pipe on the pump thats why its leaking, ive looked everywhere on the car i cant find it, what is it connected to? and where do i look

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
is this the very small pipe directly beneath the pump, just behind the pulley? if so you need a new pump.

OP
C

chris1804

Reaction score
is this the very small pipe directly beneath the pump, just behind the pulley? if so you need a new pump.

yes that the one, how come it needs a new pump? can i just get a pipe?

heres a pic

robcar2.jpg

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well you still need a new pump,,you could fit a water bottle to save the water, but you would have to pour it back into the system your self. do take care though once they start to leak they can fail suddenly

OP
C

chris1804

Reaction score
why is it leaking water fron that hole tho? i can get a water pump off ebay for about £40-£50 are they easy to change?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can give you the full fitting instruction if you would like them,, that pipe on the side is to let water out in the event of the flange seal failing. Are they new ones on Ebay

OP
C

chris1804

Reaction score

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>how come it needs a new pump? can i just get a pipe?

To add a little to Malcolm's post - that hole is a tell-tale, when water comes out of it, it indicates that the seal in the water pump shaft has failed. The stub pipe is never intended to connect to anything - there's no option to fit any new pipe to it.

If the hole were not there, the first you would know about the seal failure would be when the water pump bearing would seize up solid, water having displaced the grease, and you would be stuck at the side of the road. The tell-tale hole allows a more graceful failure, giving you an opportunity to fix the fault soon, but, at your leisure.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
:D:D:D:D

i knew straight away from the first read where this one was heading. luckily the pump is fairly cheap and easy to replace, hopefuly the rad and head gasket will not follow - they often do!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The pump is here I can give you the instruction next week

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom