E220 CDI (02) Engine Issues

Silent Frog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 02 Plate
Hi All

As a first time poster, hope someone can shed a little light on an odd issue I have recently experienced with my E220 CDI. She's an 02 plate Avantgarde saloon with around 170k on the clock.

I've recently noticed that around five minutes after the start of any journey the engine seemingly decides it doesn't want to rev past 2000, and any attempts to go past this by sinking my foot into the carpet are completely futile. It's like when an over-cautious traction control system kicks in and any depression of the accelerator has no effect whatsoever. No sound, no revs, nothing.

It idles fine even when the aforementioned problem kicks in, and will freely rev as far as I ask it to (I rarely if indeed ever thrash it) in the first few minutes of a drive.

Could it be something simple like the sparks or something equally un-terrifying (read "expensive")? I'm no idiot, but I should be treated as Jimmy Mc Layperson when it comes to the more complicated mechanical workings of an engine.

If it heps with a diagnosis, there has also been an unpleasant smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin when stationary with the engine running. I'm gessing this is due to the proximity of the engine to the air intake for the heater, and that there is some kind of leak somewhere in the engine end of the exhaust system. As a result I have to start the car with the fan set to re-circulate the air within the cabin. The gearbox is also set to S rather than W. You don't think it could be someting to do with the gearbox do you?

Hopefully someone will have an idea as to what might be going on under my bonnet. Any assistance will be massively appreciated.

Cheers :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, to me it sounds like the MAF is going down.

You should really get the car on STAR with a good indie that will tell what the fault is

OP
S

Silent Frog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 02 Plate
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the swift and speedy response :) I'll get it checked out this week, if it is something to do with the MAF would it be a simple fix i.e. a good clean that was possible to do at home etc? Or do you think I'm looking at something that an amateur can't do and therefore a hefty bill?

Cheers,

Will

mb-liverpool

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c270cdi
Hi Silen Frog.
The Smell in the cockpit is probably due to leaking injecter seals.
The lack of revs is due to one of three things, as Malcome says the maf or a split induct pipe. Easily diagnosed by a loud hissing under the bonnet when the engine is revved hard. You will feel a rush of air behind the n/s/f headlamp too. Or your electric pack has failed in the transmission.
You will need the help of a decent independant.
Good luck
Merf

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom