E220 Estate SLS THE DROP

BigAlMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 S211 E270 CDi Elegance
Got mine back on its wheels. Its not dropped in 24 hours but one side definitely too high. Will check the venting connection first, failing that I'll have to get it plugged into star for a levelling.

How did you get on with yours, Replacement OK?

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes benz E220 cdi estate W211 facelift 2008. Mercedes SL320 R129 1996.
I got around to getting this job done yesterday. I hope the information can help others as my car has been off the road since 1st March.
Regarding the removal of the Aerosus airbags 9v made the solenoid click but no air released. 5v did nothing, I had considered removing the lower arm but that could have been dangerous with the partially inflated bag. I found that the Aerosus will only release air with 12V applied to the pins. I cut the harness and wired it up deflated the bag fully ( there is no Schrader valve or any other release on these). I fitted the old Bag and the car gave the error on the dash and Icarsoft showed error (These bags are not compatible with OEM units).
I sent the old unit back to Germany for warranty claim which was granted. Last week I received the new unit and fitted the car is holding pressure the left rear better but I am not 100% happy But I will try different parking positions. I di notice that fitting the Aerosus units the new plastic locator at the top is soft plastic compared to the original and it can pull off very easy "So be careful there"
So Would I buy the Aerosus units again?
I can't fault the warranty but If I was not doing the work myself I would be out of pocket after 4 removal and installations in total & trouble shooting. Over one and a half months off the road also "But lockdown means car was not needed that much anyway"
Time back again I would Buy Bilstein or maybe argots. At the price as MJJ recommended Bilstein is a no brainer.

I hope the info here can help others in future

Reactions: MJJ

Gefle

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 2008 E280
This would indeed have helped me had I found it earlier. :)

My right side rear sagged and I replaced the airspring after letting it sit for a few days. Next time I shall try emptying it by applying 5V to the terminal.

Now the rear lifts uneven. Thing is, I had a shop replace the left side spring two years ago, and as far as I could identify the unit (found only a sticker with numbers) it was an Arnott, so I got an Arnott this time as well. But they obviously do not match so I may be mistaken.

Now I need to either swap the old spring to an Arnott as well just to be sure, or find some method to adjust the height sideways. Is this something that can be set in software?

To make a short and boring story long and even more boring: when the left side sagged I took it to the shop. They wanted $750 to replace that one. When the right side sagged I took it to the same shop. This time they wanted £1000 for the same job. I was like "Why is that, when it was $750 the last time" and they were like "Whoops, did we say £1000? We meant £750." and I was like "Ya'll are charlatans." and left. So returning to the one and only MB shop to fix this is not an option.

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes benz E220 cdi estate W211 facelift 2008. Mercedes SL320 R129 1996.
I have solved this issue after many years. A replacement of Arnotts solved the suspension car now sitting level for a few weeks now.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom