E220 Estate tailgate wobbles at close

frontstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/2005/200K
On my W212 2014 E220 Estate the electric tailgate wobbles when it closes. Opening is no problem, the movement is smooth and fine. But when it close the movement varies between faster and slower.
Is it a problem with the motor(s) or the hydralic gas springs (struts)?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Maybe lube the hinges, one could be slightly stiffer.

OP
frontstar

frontstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/2005/200K
I tested some lubrication but no difference, still wobbling when it closes? Any more ideas?

OP
frontstar

frontstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/2005/200K
The problem is: When the tailgate closes (with motor) it shal do a smooth and steady movement at the same speed all way down. But in my case the the movement differ in speed, sometimes a bit faster and then slower. It´s not a movement at the same speed all way.
OK, it works but it don´t look so very Mercedes.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a hinge lubrication problem. You need to flood the hinges with oil (I use engine oil) the fully synthetic stuff is best. We are going to see more and more of this issue as these cars age the hinge and operating rod ball joint that attaches to the car are agricultural in design to say the least. You will have to persevere with it as the hinges are quite tight and as said don‘t forget to lubricate the operating rod ball joint. Mine required at least three dousings of oil over a 2 week period to work its way into the hinge and pleased to say it hasn’t been a problem since, I make a point of lubricating the hinges every six months as they are open to the elements.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds like you have a hinge lubrication problem. You need to flood the hinges with oil (I use engine oil) the fully synthetic stuff is best. We are going to see more and more of this issue as these cars age the hinge and operating rod ball joint that attaches to the car are agricultural in design to say the least. You will have to persevere with it as the hinges are quite tight and as said don‘t forget to lubricate the operating rod ball joint. Mine required at least three dousings of oil over a 2 week period to work its way into the hinge and pleased to say it hasn’t been a problem since, I make a point of lubricating the hinges every six months as they are open to the elements.
Electric operation is great when new but second hand or a few years old and it’s just another thing that goes wrong.

OP
frontstar

frontstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/2005/200K
The hinges are not so easy to lubricate, they are covered and there is limited with space. Any good idea how to do it the best way?

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
The hinges are not so easy to lubricate, they are covered and there is limited with space. Any good idea how to do it the best way?
I had a similar issue and followed Malcolm's advice.
Get a squirty oil can and point the nozzle as close to the hinges as you can.
Pour on from the gap above the hinges in the shut line.
Take off the black plastic cover inside in front of the hinges. Clip off and back on easy enough.
Rags stuffed on the down slope to catch residual oil helps.
Stick with it. Cured my issue.
Lube the ball joint too and even a squirt on the struts.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom