E220 (W213) Estate First Service

MercAA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc A SE
I bought my E Class W213 Estate just before tax raise last year. This means my first service is due this month. I got 2 quotes from nearby dealers (1) £315 Including VAT (2) £383 including VAT. I was told by second guys that amount includes dust filter (aka pollen filter) replacement as recommended by Mercedes (but not part of standard first year service!)

They told Merc recommended to replace dust filter as part of service that is why cost id £383. Anyone can confirm this from their first service.
I know all dealers will call to replace items from wipers to many parts during service. This is again part of that or this dust filter really needed replacement..? I kept car really clean and it got less than 5000 mile sin last one year.

Thanks

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I bought my E Class W213 Estate just before tax raise last year. This means my first service is due this month. I got 2 quotes from nearby dealers (1) £315 Including VAT (2) £383 including VAT. I was told by second guys that amount includes dust filter (aka pollen filter) replacement as recommended by Mercedes (but not part of standard first year service!)

They told Merc recommended to replace dust filter as part of service that is why cost id £383. Anyone can confirm this from their first service.
I know all dealers will call to replace items from wipers to many parts during service. This is again part of that or this dust filter really needed replacement..? I kept car really clean and it got less than 5000 mile sin last one year.

Thanks
Trust your instincts, you know the first dealer is the correct one and what the 2nd dealer is really about , after all are you about to keel over going 2 years between changing a pollen filter?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The pollen filter is normally done on the B service , so at two years . Can't imagine the filter costing more than £25 even at MB , and a 5 Minuite job ?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The pollen filter is normally done on the B service , so at two years . Can't imagine the filter costing more than £25 even at MB , and a 5 Minuite job ?

I thought £73 to change a pollen filter that costs £25 was a little steep

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The newer Mercedes models have 2 filters, the dust filter under the bonnet and the pollen filter under the passenger footwell.

I doubt very much it needs a dust filter unless you are hitting the mileage increments rather than time, but essentially the DSB service code given by the vehicle is what advises the replacement and you won't really know that until its in the workshop and the tech has downloaded the information.

I am finding dealers are preemptively trying to advise additional service extras now at time of booking. I get called all the time for quotes for services which then follows... I have also been told i need an air filter etc...

An A service at an indy would be less than £200 btw....!!

zeeshh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d / 2017/W213, E220 CDI/2013/W212, E250 CDI/2011/W212, E250 CDI/2010/W212, C180/2002/W203
I just had my W213 saloon first service done today at MB Basingstoke for £320.28. It included Engine oil, oil filter, dust filter, key battery, adBlue topup, screenwash top up, screw plug. This is the same price I was quoted from MB Reading and MB Newbury.

However, Garmin maps were not updated but I just got the SD card get updated myself at this link:

Login here using your Mercedes me login details, insert the map sd card into PC sd slot, then download manager will detect it and will tell update available and shall update the sd card. I just did from ver5 to ver10.

https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/dcp/static/garmin/en/garmin-map-pilot.html

When I asked if the car's other software updates done, the service manager said "oh we normally don't update all the softwares because it adds more troubles, so if you are not facing any issue, then keep the car going"

Not happy with this and I'll call MB service centre to ask the policy because in my previous E classes, they always used to update the firmwares, softwares etc. :(

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
When I asked if the car's other software updates done, the service manager said "oh we normally don't update all the softwares because it adds more troubles, so if you are not facing any issue, then keep the car going"

Not happy with this and I'll call MB service centre to ask the policy because in my previous E classes, they always used to update the firmwares, softwares etc. :(

I checked on the web Mercedes Me and my March 2018 E350e and found - in Map Updates it needs a UK map update (allegedly automatic) and a manual Voice Recognition update. I then checked on Software Updates and it said it had done 2 automatic map updates with another to do. So, I suggest you check your software update on Mercedes Me to see if it is updating itself as it should be.

zeeshh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d / 2017/W213, E220 CDI/2013/W212, E250 CDI/2011/W212, E250 CDI/2010/W212, C180/2002/W203
I checked on the web Mercedes Me and my March 2018 E350e and found - in Map Updates it needs a UK map update (allegedly automatic) and a manual Voice Recognition update. I then checked on Software Updates and it said it had done 2 automatic map updates with another to do. So, I suggest you check your software update on Mercedes Me to see if it is updating itself as it should be.
Thanks and yes I did check on software updates and the last updates were on 30-6-17 (communications systems), I bought mine in March 2017. so there might be no update after that :(

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
The newer Mercedes models have 2 filters, the dust filter under the bonnet and the pollen filter under the passenger footwell.

I doubt very much it needs a dust filter unless you are hitting the mileage increments rather than time, but essentially the DSB service code given by the vehicle is what advises the replacement and you won't really know that until its in the workshop and the tech has downloaded the information.

I am finding dealers are preemptively trying to advise additional service extras now at time of booking. I get called all the time for quotes for services which then follows... I have also been told i need an air filter etc...

An A service at an indy would be less than £200 btw....!!
Hi Steve, if the ESS suggests replacement of dust filters, would that mean changing both, one in the engine bay, and the one in the footwell.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Hi Steve, if the ESS suggests replacement of dust filters, would that mean changing both, one in the engine bay, and the one in the footwell.
No, just the one under the bonnet.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom