E220CDi 2003 cuts out...stalls...

volkswalker70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDi E220CDi
Okay, I guess im guilty of joining as a direct result of a fault with my beloved MB! but now im here Ill hopefully use this site more often!
My 2003 E220 CDi auto estate has 140k on the clock and after getting the EPC warning for a few days on and off randomly and a check on the machine (not at a MB garage) its started just switching itself off whilst doing any speed and any revs...I believe its the FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE which at 160 new i was hoping to get a cheaper one next week and now im paying the price for waiting :shock:
whilst doing 30mph the revs drop to zero and wahay its a cutout and quickly pullover and hit the hazards!
it wont rev over 3000rpm and struggles to reach that...
I went out to it 5 mins ago and now it wont even start!! just turns over struggling to ignite...
having read a few threads with similar problems im really asking if this is a common fault and has anyone experienced exactly the same and what was the outcome...did the valve cure it..? do I need to buy the rail too etc...
any help is grateful...

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
short answer. no, the pressure regulator valve is not a common problem at all.

what fault codes have been stored?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
possible duff injector...sure no one put in petrol instead of diesel...fuel filter changed recently, may not be sealing properly..as alex you need to get the codes read..

OP
V

volkswalker70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270CDi E220CDi
wow you will never believe this but what a pratt i am....i recently had a couple of 25 ltr drums in my garden of diesel as i was heading to scotland with some friends in a diesel van and we intended to take them so as to fuel up when in the highlands etc....anyway we didnt end up going and unbeknown to me 1 of the drums (which was 3/4 diesel) got some rainwater in...I unwittingly put this drum into my 220 and hence the stalling and then total failure....
this only became apparent when we removed a fuel pipe in the engine bay to check if fuel was actually getting thru the pipes....and then water comes out!!!:eek:
i drained the tank until only diesel was coming out and i got about a pint of water out... replaced the fuel filter (this was full of water too) and cranked the system with fresh diesel for about 5 mins which did the trick...;)
since covered 200 mile on diesel wihout problems and will re-check the filter next week.... even the EPC warning light has gone... a very very lucky escape i think as the pump could have been damaged....
fingers crossed on this now....

just one point tho...the fuel pressure release valve which i bought for the car was slightly different to the one on mine...the new one had like a 5mm tip on the end which stopped the end going all the way into the rail...?
why would this be...? just the wrong one even tho it was supplied for my car?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just one point tho...the fuel pressure release valve which i bought for the car was slightly different to the one on mine...the new one had like a 5mm tip on the end which stopped the end going all the way into the rail...?
why would this be...? just the wrong one even tho it was supplied for my car?

are you sure its the control valve, not the press sensor? does it have two small bolts or does it screw in?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it is the valve then.

all the ones i have seen have been the same, was it a pattern part?

Top Bottom