E220cdi engine seized on motorway!

benm

Reaction score
Partner reported car (w210 e220cdi) was making a ticking noise but not too bad. Continued driving and within 5 miles the engine seized whilst driving at 70mph on the motorway - no loud bang or noise.

Once car had been recovered checked water and oil - all ok. Tried turning engine by hand - seized solid.

What could have happenend? Is this an interference engine?

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Serpentine belt failure?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So sorry this has happened, almost unheard of these days,there are plenty of engines around cheap, and much cheaper than re building.

With a good body the 210 is well worth doing

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Sorry to here this has happened i have worked on mercs for many years and have never seen this happen just like that.

The only time i have seen an engine seize is when the were driven through large puddles and water goes up the intake and goes bang that way.

It would be interesting to find out why it has happened

OP
B

benm

Reaction score
It was certainly wet and raining hard but nothing that unusual.

The loud ticking would indicate that something started failing over the the space of 5 or so miles. I am wondering if the timing chain could have snapped?

Does anyone know if this is an interference or non-interference engine?

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Or it could have been the oil pump had failed and the ticking was the lack of oil getting to the top of the engine.

imswure these engines are interferrence

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Most probably water or oil pump failure, warning lights would have flashed up to signal the problem, not sure if the engine will turn without damaging the pistons or valves, ..ie if the chain breaks..

A

andy@pcd-ltd

One quick check to see if its water just take out the air filter and if its water it will be soaked

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, it is an interference engine.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
if the car has full MB service history and the failure is the oil pump. i BELIEVE that MB will repair under 'warranty' as they have not provided any way for you to safeguard the engine ie no low pressure warning light or pressure guage

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
if the car has full MB service history and the failure is the oil pump. i BELIEVE that MB will repair under 'warranty' as they have not provided any way for you to safeguard the engine ie no low pressure warning light or pressure guage

Is there really no low pressure warning mechanism? I'd have thought that there was a light on the pre-facelift 210s and the computer would flash up in red on the facelift ones.
Are you sure the bulb hasn't gone on yours?

OP
B

benm

Reaction score
Will check if the airfilter is wet although not sure how this would signify water pump failure.

No warning lights or messages were displayed before termination.

Unfortunately car does not have full service history.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I think Willow may have meant that a wet air filter would suggest water having been ingested into the engine rather than a water pump failure.

The fact that you can't turn the engine may well be due to the cylinders being full of water (for whichever reason), hydraulic lock rather than seized. I think the only way to find out what happened is to open up the engine and have a look, everything else is just guesswork.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Yeah sorry should have been more descriptive.

If you suspect water in there you could also remove the injectors and then try turning it over and see what happens as if it is full of water it will give the water somewhere to go

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Is there really no low pressure warning mechanism? I'd have thought that there was a light on the pre-facelift 210s and the computer would flash up in red on the facelift ones.
Are you sure the bulb hasn't gone on yours?

unless it flashes up on the mileage/assyst screen on my pre facelift, theres NO oil pressure warning. neither was there on either of my previous W202's, thats how i found out about the MB 'guarantee'. may be worth enquiring about regardless for the OP.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
yes it would have flashed up on the screen ..check oil..stop.. call service ..etc

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
they only have oil level monitoring, not pressure. it has been debated before, but the level warning is far far more important than pressure, the argument being that when pressure dissapears you will kill the engine in seconds anyway.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
they only have oil level monitoring, not pressure. it has been debated before, but the level warning is far far more important than pressure, the argument being that when pressure dissapears you will kill the engine in seconds anyway.

Thats rather alarming IMHO. I once had a Ford where the oil pick-up became clogged up. The light came on (at traffic lights fortunately) and within a few seconds the tappets went down and started to rattle. With the warning light I knew what the issue was instantly and switched off immediatley and had it towed home. Had there been no light I may have left it too long, thinking it was the water pump or alternator bearing.

We removed the sump and replaced the pick up and oil pump and the engine ran on for many years without a problem. What would happen if the oil pump was failing and putting out too little pressure? Surely a pressure sensor is a small price to pay to safeguard the whole engine?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i understand the concerns people may have on this issue. i would like to point out however that we simply NEVER see any mercedes (since the mid eighties) with failing oil pressure. we do often have people calling by for oil top ups though, usually as a result of the level monitoring - hence my assertion that level warning is far far more important that pressure warning.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Oil level monitoring is fine as long as the sensor is working correctly. I have seen a number of Mercedes where the sensors are faulty.....

Give me an old fashioned dipstick any day

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom