E220CDI Problems - 1)Screeching Steering 2)Indicator Stalk 3)SRS restraint failure

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Hi all,

I've recent developed some problems on my 52 plate E220CDI - It is a 195k miler so had a tough life but been generally well looked after and serviced.

1) Under load, especially at full lock the steering screeches. I've checked the fluid level and topped up but the noise it makes is very very loud and seems to come from the power steering pump area. The belt was changed along with the water pump about 5000 miles ago so I'm sure there is no slipping causing the noise. Any thoughts as to what this may be?

Electrics:-

2) Recently the SRS light popped on with an on board message stating restraint system failure. Followed shortly by the indicators not cancelling automatically. Then a failure of the windscreen washer pump not operating.

On having a look through the forum it seems as if the SRS failure might be caused due to either a bad connection under passenger seat or a wiring loom issue behind the steering wheel.... Is there a chance that the indicator &/or washer pump failure could all be linked to indicator stalk or would these be seperate issues?

Thanks kindly for your thoughts.

Mounis

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
you would need srs fault codes checking. srs is a very simple system to diagnose and seat pads sensors and wiring are common problems, the wiring is usually a problem after someone has rammed a road atlass, 12x evian bottles and a single shoe under the seat.

however you may have a wiring fault around the steering column area, indicator cancelling and washer pump are on the column as is the airbag clock spring. having said that i think on yours the indicator cancelling is a mechanical function, no? worth a look here if diy-ing but i would plug in the laptop first........

OP
Mounis

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
Thanks!

Cheers very much for the advice! I'm ok with most issues when it comes to DIY but unfortunately dont have access to diagnostics so have to resort to local indys.... That means more £££ :-(

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom