E240 2000 Sudden ignition problem

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
OK, where to start. Not well as it turned out - spent 10 minutes looking for the control box you referring to which is quite a feat in a an area about a square foot large. After a while I opened the only obvious looking compartment completely ignoring the sign that said 'air condition unit - qualified personal only' which had previously dissuaded me. Turns out it was the ECU (see, I know what it is now!!) and it was all a lie. Found the twisted cable, pulled it out, checked the 10amp fuse and, bugger me, it was blown. Replaced fuse, made cables safe, turned key and car started as if nothing had ever happened. Wow.

First I am incredibly grateful. I mean, really. That probably saved me quite a few bob. The second thing is (and I can't think of any other way to put this so bear with me) how the F**K did you know that this was the problem from the tiny little description I gave you???? I am SO impressed, I can't even tell you.

There's a couple of other little niggly problems with this Merc (LED temp gauge readout on dashboard failed, LED clock failed, both in dashboard and intermittent fan fault on air con) and this has given me the inclination to resolve. Will trawl through the FAQs and forums generally first, but may well post again with specifics. Should definitely leave this thread up for other people ....

Thanks again, and a 'big up' to Malcolm!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With most faults they fall into a patten,and you know what is wrong... You were the one doing all of the work,,and you fixed it :D:D We are a very good forum, if not the best :D

The display problem will be where the ribbon cables get a poor contact in the socket,,and they just need packing out with little rubber or plastic wedges

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200/W203/2001 kompressor
Same?

Hi there,

I think my MB E240 2000 has a similar issue, it does not crank when starting. Battery is fine - all other electric stuff works just fine, but no response when i turn the key to start. just a single click in the engine like it something disconnects before it starts cranking.. i read the whole subject and tried to find the fuse you guyz were talking about but couldnt. i opened the Fuse box u were referring to found a 7.5 - 10 - 10 -20 -15 - 15 fuses, all were in good condition & could not find the fan plug with the two twisted wires ... in which i understud that there is another 10 fuse that I'm suppose to replace... do you by any chance have like a photo that maybe help me see where this certain fuse is located?? By the way the car starts when I try doing it for a few times but I'm afraid that if i keep doing that this may cause damage to something else.....

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Hi there,

I think my MB E240 2000 has a similar issue, it does not crank when starting. Battery is fine - all other electric stuff works just fine, but no response when i turn the key to start. just a single click in the engine like it something disconnects before it starts cranking.. i read the whole subject and tried to find the fuse you guyz were talking about but couldnt. i opened the Fuse box u were referring to found a 7.5 - 10 - 10 -20 -15 - 15 fuses, all were in good condition & could not find the fan plug with the two twisted wires ... in which i understud that there is another 10 fuse that I'm suppose to replace... do you by any chance have like a photo that maybe help me see where this certain fuse is located?? By the way the car starts when I try doing it for a few times but I'm afraid that if i keep doing that this may cause damage to something else.....

Does the rev counter needle move when this happens?

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does the rev counter needle move when this happens?

Thanks for your Reply Alex.

Not sure what u meant by rev counter needle? but when it happenes (the click in engine instead of cranking) the Fuel & temp indicators fall down and go back to normal, and just to add to my case i could move the gear from P to N no problems there. this morning as usual it took about 15 min trying for the car to finally start... It kept doing that click it till it finaly cranked and started. One other thing... it does not crank as fast as it was two weeks ago.. its a little slower...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the car does not start, look at the Rev counter in the instrument cluster and see if the pointer jumps up when cranking.

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the car does not start, look at the Rev counter in the instrument cluster and see if the pointer jumps up when cranking.

Car does not crank. It just does a single click and the indicators fall as if the electricity source cuts off for a less than a sec and then goes back to normal.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Look at the RPM needle when this happens - does it briefly jump up above 1000 rpm?

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you like me to Email you the instruction for doing this job,,you have been looking in the wrong place

Hello there,

I know this post is like two years old but is there any chance that you may still have these instructions on how to do this job?? I'm almost there got into the box you were referring too but all fuses were good & could not find the twisted wires that need to be unpluged?

Thanks Mate

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like a possibly power supply/battery/earth problem - check voltage across starter when it happens.

Eagle000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like a possibly power supply/battery/earth problem - check voltage across starter when it happens.

Thank you Alex,

The problem has been solved finaly, bought a new Battery & had some toutches on the Earth cable supply.... its all good now...

Hope that will be all for me at least for a while. Thank you very much Alex and all others for your great help. :):):):)

louisdeux

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 1999
key ignition problem

I have a similar key problem with my 1999 E320.
I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this correctly.

My key will not turn in the ignition.
The steering wheel turns, it is not locked.
I have replaced the batteries in the key. However, shouldn't a red light on the key light up when I press any button on the key? This doesn't happen.

New battery in the car. It's working. I have driven it since installing new battery.

thank you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yours will be the long plastic key, and the wire breaks on the coil in the end and can be soldered back on with great care

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom