E240 2000 Sudden ignition problem

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Hi all

I own a 2000 E240 Mercedes, lovely car, best of the six Mercs I have owned in my opinion.

This morning, put the kids in as usual, unlocking the car with the remote. No problems so far. Went to start the car, put the key in ignition, turned it and ... nothing. No turning over, not a sausage, as if it had no key at all. Battery fully charged, all electrics work as usual (radio, air con etc), can unlock and re-lock the car with the key, all that is fine. Of course, sod's law dictates that it was parked in blocking in the other two cars, so can't get any of them out now and we're on foot at the moment. Can't even get it out of Park to put in neutral to push it out of the way. Key was working fine last night when I drove home and there have been no previous indications of problems whatsoever.

There's no spare key for this vehicle as it only came with one, so can't try that. The dealership said it would cost £340 for a second key which seemed utterly extortionate to me so refused to pay it out of principal. Perhaps an immobilizer problem? Has this happened to anyone before? If so, what was the remedy? Any help would be appreciated as totally stuck at the moment and just knowing where to start would be a help. I'm reasonably proficient when it comes to mechanics, but quite nervous at playing with modern day card electrics, especially security systems (if it is that).

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. Even if it is only how to get it into neutral so I can put it to one side whilst we get it fixed.

Kind regards
Jason

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum Jason.

First the keys cost £200 and not £350

Your fault should be where the engine ECU cooling fan has gone short circuit.

Take the lid off the fuse control box,,unplug the fan, replace the 10 amp fuse and try the car,,if all is well and it starts,,the cut off the plug to the fan as it is not needed in the uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Look for a smell hole in front of the gear shift,,poke a pen down the hole and it should release the gear shift

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
all what he said ^^. the lid to remove is undr the bonnet at the rear passenger side. 4x screws will reveal various bits and bobs including 5 or 10 fuses. if one is blown, first unplug the plug with the two twisted wires in the corner of the fuse module, then replace the fuse. bingo (hopefully!) if no fuses in here are blown get back to us.

also the biro trick is no joke, if you have the slot it will release the park position.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OP read the post at 8pm tonight but did not answer

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Wow! you guys are fast! Got in this evening and spent some time doing what you suggested. Here's the outcome:
Couldn't work out what ECU meant and couldn't find any reference to it in the manuals. I took the assumption this was the main fan, so looked for that in the fuse box listing. Of course, there isn't mentioned which is anywhere close in the listing ('fanfare' is closes - and what the hell is that???) but I knew it was a 10amp from what you said, so removed them all (they were all fine anyway) and did what you said. It had no effect. BUT, on turning the key with the bonnet open I could JUST hear a small double click, like something was trying to engage but couldn't, which I hadn't picked up on before, so methinks there's a bit more to this than a key problem - maybe some sort of ignition system problem somewhere. Needless to say have put all fuses and fans back together. Also spent some considerable time looking for a small hole in the gearshift to no avail, can't even find anything the size of a pin head - do I need to remove the housing, is that the trick? Upshot is we're still on foot, my poor missus had to walk two miles to the supermarket with the kids today, luckily she's very good humored about this sort of thing, but after a few days this would get annoying. I had to take 3 trains. All with 3 ****** cars sitting on the drive. Madness.

And could you tell my local dealer about the correct key prices? This is a transcript of the conversation we had, literally word for word:

me: "I need a spare key for my Mercedes E240 and ..."
dealer (interrupting) "three forty"
me: "er ..no it's a TWO forty" (as in E240)
dealer: "no, I mean it will COST three forty, three hundred and forty pounds"

I should probably try a different one by the sound of it!

Anyway, thanks guys, unless you have any ideas, I'm going to have to call the men with the spanners. However, once I find out what it is/was, I'll post and let everyone know.

Cheers!

Jason

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you like me to Email you the instruction for doing this job,,you have been looking in the wrong place

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
jason, have you found the 'hidden fuses' i described above, not in the normal 3x fuse locations, but under a smooth black cover needing 4x screws to be removed. please re-read post #4 and report back.

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Malcolm that would be very handy and much appreciated if you have the time and/or inclination. Fortunately my office is based at home, so I will have a chance to have a fiddle again later on. Can I assume you and Alexander Patient are talking about the same thing? By the time you read this, I will have nipped out and tried what you guys clarified ... will report back ... :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm that would be very handy and much appreciated if you have the time and/or inclination. Fortunately my office is based at home, so I will have a chance to have a fiddle again later on. Can I assume you and Alexander Patient are talking about the same thing? By the time you read this, I will have nipped out and tried what you guys clarified ... will report back ... :)

Yes Alexander and I are talking of the same thing,,I do have the work sheet that I can send you.

This little fan is to cool the ECU and nothing to do with any other fan, and it is in side the box

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Haven't made it outside yet, got caught on the phone, so will wait for the worksheet. Are you sending via email? What does ECU actually stand for? and why is it not referenced anywhere in the manuals? do they call it something different?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address please why not pop it in your user CP and click save at the bottom of the page

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Thanks Malcolm! There isn't a direct field for email visibility in this version of vBulletin, but have updated IM contact details and enabled v-cards, either of which will have the desired effect!

Humbly in gratitude,
Jason

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I cannot get it to work on the MSN can I email you via that link,,or you could pop you email address up for 2 mins and remove it in "edit post" when I have sent it and within 2 hours of it being posted

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
sure, I have no problems with that! Mine's actually very easy:

You can tell I'm ex-Microsoft! I grabbed that one before MSN went on general release in the mid 90's.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK it has gone :D:D I hate computers :D:D

OP
J

JasonDeane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc S320, year 2000
Brilliant, that's come through. I'm going to have a little break in a mo and read and digest, looks very comprehensive - marvellous!

Jason

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And I am going shopping Jason,,I am so hungry, you have fun :D:D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom