E240 Elegance Problems To Look Out For?

Martin_C

Reaction score
Hi All

I used to be a die hard BMW fan but after being bitten by a bad purchase,I am going to try something new.

I am hoping to purchase this.

2000 X Reg MERCEDES-BENZ E240 Elegance Tip
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 72,000 miles, Metallic Grey. ABS, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Front armrest, Headlight washers, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, Cloth upholstery.

It has full merc service history, Is there anything that I need to look out for in particular? Does the vehicle a timing chain or timing belt?

Any input would be very helpful.

Regards

Martin

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Aisde from 6 months on the reg plate, it sounds like my old motor!
The critical thing to look for is rust. Do a search on E class rust and then check the car carefully. Tops of doors, wheel arches, boot lock all need the once over. If there is any, then get a dealer to give it the once over and advise whether you'd be succesful on a claim. MB will fix it FOC under certain circumstances.
Check the dash cluster. Clocks and temp gauge displays lose pixels. Easy fix or £200 for a recon but MB want £500+ so a good negotiating point.

Aside from that, there isn't much to worry about provided it has a good history. Plugs (twin spark so 12) and gearbox oil should have been done by now (60k), if they haven't you're looking at £400 worth of work. Don't take any sealed for life nonsense on the gearbox. It may have been MB's line once, but they now recommend 40k intervals. I found that plug leads needed changing every 3 years or the idle would start to get lumpy. Timing is a duplex chain so forget that for a long while yet. That colour looks great in bright sunshine when properly polished. I found it was a bit dull under gray skies though.

Do remember, the 240 elegance is built for comfort rather than speed.
The 240 elegance was also the fastest depreciating model, especially at basic spec like that one so I'd expect a good price. As a guide, I traded in my W reg 18 months ago for less than 8k.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Do remember, the 240 elegance is built for comfort rather than speed.

I know what Jberks means but don't be put off. All variants (Elegance, AvantGarde and Classic give exactly the same performance in a straight line. But the Classic and Elegance have a wonderful suspension tuned to give an unequalled (except by the S class) quality of ride, especially on UK roads! After a Beemer it will seem amazing. The AvantGarde had the suspension lowered half an inch and firmer settings, and will corner a bit better/flatter etc but in normal driving (if you don't round corners on two wheels) I found the Elegance set up much the better on our roads.

If you are coming from a bad experience I question whether you should be buying a fairly old car with plenty of miles on it and the chance of more trouble or whether a newer cheaper car might not be preferable and give you a rest from car troubles. After a bad one, I got a Honda and relaxed for two years. But withdrawal symptoms do set in.

Because water-based paints came in around that time, the turn of the century cars do have rust troubles. If full MBSH there is a 30 year rust guarantee and Merc have been very good at doing what it says on the tin and quite a lot more in many cases.

Full galvanising came in for 2003 production: -
All steel panels were galvanised from Quarter 1, 2003, production onwards.
During the previous quarter (Q4, 2002) the process was gradually introduced on the production line and therefore some vehicles were galvanised during this lead-up period, but not all.

N.B. it is production date you need to check rather than registration date if you want galvanised. Dealers can get it off their computers for you.

If you can run to it, I would prefer in your situation to find a way to buy a 2003 or 2004 produced car. Then search threads on Service Plus which covers all service and MOT bills, brakes, exhausts, everything, and is virtually a guarantee as well. That is the Plus bit. Buy the right model E class and it will cost you in the ballpark £50 to £70 per month if you do average 10-12k miles p.a and give you peace of mind. And pay virtually all the bills other than insurance, fuel and tyres.
In addition the cars were better and more reliable by then.

You can stay in Service Plus till 6 years old or 120,000 miles whichever comes first.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Around 2000 cars will be at asking prices of £8-10k in reasonable nick, with sensible miles, and at reputable dealers with a good guarantee.

Around 2003 will be £13-15k asking price.

But what amazes me at the moment is the incredible bargains you can get 1 year old. Take a look at this one. Elegance, Obsidian Black, 220E Kompressor from 2006 with only 16k miles. Two years of guarantee still to run. A £30k car for under £20k asking and with no part ex that will be a grand or two off, easily.
http://www.directmercedes.co.uk/veh...iant%3d%26startdate%3d%26perpage%3d%26page%3d

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
OP
M

Martin_C

Reaction score
independent dealers

Ok guys thanks for the info, do you know of any good independant dealers/service for mercedes in the midlands area as I am very tempted on in buying the e240.

Thanks once again

Martin

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom