E250cdi om651 engine metalic noise when hot

simonlondon24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2009 250cdi
Hi everyone. As I have probably search everywhere and could find anything similar, I'm having to ask the question myself. Have anyone come across this metallic poping, pinging background noise? It only happened when the engine is warmed up. I have took the drive belt off to test it, and noise still there. It comes off the front drivers side part of the engine or so I think. Car has 90k on the clock. Any input will be appreciated as it drives me mad. Whenever I see car with this engine in it it looks like they all make this particular noise but no one seems to know where it's coming from.
Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Simplex sounds clattery maybe which is maybe the pinging noise you think it is

OP
simonlondon24

simonlondon24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2009 250cdi
Hi John. After listening to this engine would you say there is no unusual noise coming from it? And if it was the chain wouldn't the noise be coming more from the back of the block rather than the front :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m struggling to hear the other noise and you’re right the chain would be from the back....couldn’t discern it was the back of course from the clip

OP
simonlondon24

simonlondon24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2009 250cdi
Yes i know. sorry was bit dark outside. The first few second are from the right drivers side wheel arch area, then front and left side. As for the noise it is most audible from around 4-5 seconds then it blends in.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I will listen again when it’s quieter here! No worries

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yip hearing it now, like a metallic chink/chirp - sounds like the serpentine belt, the simplex is generally noisy at first start up or when cold

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Something on the turbo? VNT linkage rattling?

OP
simonlondon24

simonlondon24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2009 250cdi
Hi John/Uncle Benz yes it it's the chink/chrip. I have taken the belt off but the noise is still present so can't be it. Sound comes more from inside so nothing on the turbo if anything could be something inside the turbo‍♂️

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
That would bother me too, definitely doesn't sound right, loose bolt/exhaust, heat shield maybe ?

OP
simonlondon24

simonlondon24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2009 250cdi
Hi Taffy thank you for your suggestions. As it is heat related or so I think as it only happens after the engine operating for 5min or so I will be having another closer look. It also might sound like the inside of the catalyst converter has gone wrong

Matej09

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2009 e250cdi
Hi Taffy thank you for your suggestions. As it is heat related or so I think as it only happens after the engine operating for 5min or so I will be having another closer look. It also might sound like the inside of the catalyst converter has gone wrong
Hello did you ever resolved the issue, i have that sound for more than 1 year i only know that it might be the vacuum pump noise.
Or what elese,idk?

Thx.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom