E270 Headlamp Auto Adjustment Level

Cobra44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E200 D SE (2017)
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a 2003 E270 which has auto adjustment for the headlamps and not the normal wheel next to the controls.

The problem is that although main beam is fine, the dipped headlights don't seem to reach far enough and I'm almost struggling to see enough of the road ahead.

Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do about it?

Thanks.:)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The most common problem is that the arm drops off one of the 2 sensors, one front and one rear, when in this condition the lamps just drop down to the lowest point. In some cases you can put the arm back on the ball joint. They are attached to the top suspension arm.

front one shown here
index.php

woodley_bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E220 Bluetec estate (2016)
Do you have xenons?

I have a later model w211 and have seen something similar. I thought I might have something broken as tv suggests but had it checked by my local indy and all systems work as they should. Putting a heavy load on the back of the boot should not make the level change if it is working. I believe the only way to change the actual level is on Star but not sure how high it can be set without blinding oncoming traffic especially given the xenons ate pretty bright.

Seems that on my car at least the dip beam does not reach as far as I'd like. Given the sharp cut off for xenons that makes it worse.

I don't have a fix for you but I do see something similar I think.

For reference I can see about 50m ahead on dip on a flat road. Which is fine on slow roads but for motorway it's not so handy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When these sensor arms come off the headlamps are really pointing at the ground. When you turn the lamps on the headlamp beam raises, if not quite high enough you can turn the 2 inner screw in the holes over each headlamp to raise them slightly.

OP
Cobra44

Cobra44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E200 D SE (2017)
Thanks television I will check that out.

OP
Cobra44

Cobra44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E200 D SE (2017)
I have a later model w211 and have seen something similar. I thought I might have something broken as tv suggests but had it checked by my local indy and all systems work as they should. Putting a heavy load on the back of the boot should not make the level change if it is working. I believe the only way to change the actual level is on Star but not sure how high it can be set without blinding oncoming traffic especially given the xenons ate pretty bright.

Seems that on my car at least the dip beam does not reach as far as I'd like. Given the sharp cut off for xenons that makes it worse.

I don't have a fix for you but I do see something similar I think.

For reference I can see about 50m ahead on dip on a flat road. Which is fine on slow roads but for motorway it's not so handy.
BTW, just to clarify...is Star the diagnostic software for MB?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes STAR is the Mercedes diagnostic tool

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom