E280 cdi 2006 - SOMETIMES - won't let me back into R or Park!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Avantgarde cdi Estate 2006 Facelift 3 litre V6 OM 642.920.
Hi all,

This is a bit unusual. Sometimes my gear selector will not allow me to return from Drive or Neutral back to Reverse or Park. To move the selector, I release the foot brake and I am able to return to R or PARK. The intermittent problems are always the worst!

I have replaced the brake light switch; thought the problem had gone away but alas no! It is the intermittent nature that causes much scratching of head! Selector Solenoid?

Anybody got any ideas?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The problem is common to E and C classes, the selector lever is starting to fail, back ordered from Germany as well at the moment.....

OP
Adrian Montagu
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem is common to E and C classes, the selector lever is starting to fail, back ordered from Germany as well at the moment.....
Hi Cole,
Thanks for the advice. Any idea on cost form an independant?

OP
Adrian Montagu
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Cole,
I am reading in some forums that some of these gear shift modules have to be "programmed" and some comments also state that this is not necessary in models on of after the W211 E280 V6 cdi on engine numbers starting 642.920. Are you able to shed any light on this?
Many thanks
Regards
Adrian

OP
Adrian Montagu
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steve
Are intelligent servo modules those devices that are used with "KeyLess" entry systems? In other words is it models with "Keyless" entry systems that require programming?
Regards
Adrian

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
no - they are just the bit that moves the link on the side of the gearbox to get between PNR&D

Mercedes felt strange people might steal the gearbox so linked the brain to get it in to D to the chassis number... also called after sales care-fully robbing customers

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
no - they are just the bit that moves the link on the side of the gearbox to get between PNR&D

Mercedes felt strange people might steal the gearbox so linked the brain to get it in to D to the chassis number... also called after sales care-fully robbing customers

Not at all. It forms part of the drive authorisation system on your immobaliser control. It was nothing to do with stealing gearboxes.

Mercedes have always had layered security since introducing it it on the old IFZ units in the early 90s. Then it used the read coils in the key and ignition barrel, a main control unit and rear view mirror to layer the security and prevent engine start.

That became the ignition and steering lock together with the engine ECU when DAS was launched in 1997 and then introducing a security layer on the shift lever on the S, SL and CL models from 2002. ISM was introduced in 2005 on the ML W164 and was then rolled forward to all models we have now.

ISM modules are fitted on cars with and without keyless go.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom