e300 1997 none start.

meath1978

Reaction score
hello,
i have a 1997 e300 td,which i have had a major problem with today.
I had the battery replaced on the car 3 weeks ago by kwik fit ,and the car has been running fine until today.
I parked the car up and turned it off as normal,and noticed the electric window wouldnt close.I locked and unlocked the car ok,put the key in the ignition and nothing happend and it wouldnt come out of park.
Called the aa and after some investigation they found that the earth lead to the battery had come off,and the car had been driven with the battery disconnected.I had to have the car recovered by flatbed to my house ,obviously it cant have been tightened properly by kwik fit,but what damage would it have done to the car ,i would be very gratefull for any help indeed, i have two keys both which will lock/unlock the car but will not turn on the ignition.
thanks richard

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Hello,

Can you tell us why the recovery person didn't simply replace the earth cable,or if he did,what happened then?

Regards,
Nick

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ouch..welcome Richard,,not good but maybe OK and thank goodness a diesel.

The battery is the load that keeps the voltage from the alternator from rising. OK other things can do that too, it depends on what was running at the time.

If the wire from the battery came off when you were trying to start,then no damage will have taken place, the car was running when you turned it off, so with a little luck nothing will be wrong

OP
M

meath1978

Reaction score
thanks guys,the recovery guy put the earth back on but the fault is still the same ,its like the ignition switch doesnt regonise the key its a sod with it being an auto its stuck in park,any ideas where the ovp relay is? is this normally a syock item at the dealer?
I have checked all the fuses i can see and they all seem fime i normally do my own maintanance ,but was away on holiday when the battery went so had little choice but to use kwik fit.
thanks again richard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 97 car will not be EIS it will be EZL and it could need a new ignition switch.. I take it that the car has the flip out key

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have a hole in front of the gear shift where you can insert a pen,,this will disengage the gear shift from P

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it could also have ruined the alternator. or at least the regulator pack as it will think battery doesnt exist.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
too early this car for the tiptronic

dont think tiptronic came in till facelift versions. i could be wrong, but i have last of the pre facelift models and the CDI engine didnt arrive till post facelift and tiptronic was only available on CDI engines rather than turbodiesels as far as im aware!

OP
M

meath1978

Reaction score
fixed*******

after much discussion with merc main agent ,they said it could be ignition switch and possilbly more faults would be apparent,i gave a auto electician a ring ,he came out scratched the female part of the ignition switch where the key fits,tried the key again and the car started fine!!!!!!
so i can only presume it must have been dirty on the sensor.iam just glad it was just a cheap fix
thanks for everyones help and input
richard

Top Bottom