E300 diesel issue, again!

Mickey76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E320 Cdi S210 145k
Still struggling with air in the system, I look such an idiot some of the places I have to park the car to get it facing downhill so it will start on return.
New clear lines and o rings and pre filter, Stop solenoid o ring, tank filter, all jubilee clips, diesel leak off, so all the usual! Fitted a non return valve at tank on line drawing fuel.
I had done the delivery valve o rings, but without a torque rench, I noticed on just a couple of occasions that the nearest two valves got a little damp around their seat, not always. Worried I'd done it wrong, got new seals and toqued the valves down. All back as it was before, but now won't start!
Am scratching my head as it all went smoothly, have checked over my work, clear pipes are full of diesel but slackened off injector nuts and nothing comes out when cranking. Seems to much a coincidence that lift pump or stop solenoid would have gone???
Flattened battery for second time now.
Thanks for help in advance
Dave

Daddy Oilburner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 TD ESTATE TARDIS
Air Here Air There .... ****** Air Everywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PO9gbgP1g

HI check this out , I have been looking for the my personal air issues ... as you can see it is coming from the perished tank lines .... I think .. I have found access under the backseat ( est )

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
If you had perished fuel lines they would leak long before having a chance to draw in air.

Air as shown in the video is more likely a blocked tank strainer and/or in-tank baffle.

Most other diesel engines would give up by now forcing a thorough inspection.

MB's on the other hand with a mechanical lift pump will continue to pull fuel despite these restrictions. In some cases where the breather is blocked it will collapse the tank entirely before stopping.

94615d1312842467-what-happens-when-tank-vent-gets-clogged-p7020792.jpg

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
disconnect the fuel tank and run the car from a bottle of DIESEL with short pipes into the fuel filter. that way you can get it started easily, nice and hot and then reconnect the main fuel lines to bring the fuel through from the tank again.

if it starts like that and then fails to start when you reconnect the main fuel lines, they are likely blocked.... take off the ends and push some air through the metal pipes to clear any blockage.

Daddy Oilburner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 TD ESTATE TARDIS
Tank Strainer ....

Blocked tank strainer ....
Nope this is the condition of my tank strain .... stills pulls air

Attachments

• 2012-08-23 11.54.11.jpg
    2012-08-23 11.54.11.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 62

Daddy Oilburner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 TD ESTATE TARDIS
If you had perished fuel lines they would leak long before having a chance to draw in air.

Air as shown in the video is more likely a blocked tank strainer and/or in-tank baffle.

Most other diesel engines would give up by now forcing a thorough inspection.

MB's on the other hand with a mechanical lift pump will continue to pull fuel despite these restrictions. In some cases where the breather is blocked it will collapse the tank entirely before stopping.

94615d1312842467-what-happens-when-tank-vent-gets-clogged-p7020792.jpg

what from inside the tank .... it isn't going to leak out , just pull air through the filler cap / tank vent..... ( this was blocked in the picture hence the collapse ) ....sucks it up into the feed line into the fuel line AIR !

silverhorse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300E/1998/3000diesel
Still struggling with air in the system, I look such an idiot some of the places I have to park the car to get it facing downhill so it will start on return.
New clear lines and o rings and pre filter, Stop solenoid o ring, tank filter, all jubilee clips, diesel leak off, so all the usual! Fitted a non return valve at tank on line drawing fuel.
I had done the delivery valve o rings, but without a torque rench, I noticed on just a couple of occasions that the nearest two valves got a little damp around their seat, not always. Worried I'd done it wrong, got new seals and toqued the valves down. All back as it was before, but now won't start!
Am scratching my head as it all went smoothly, have checked over my work, clear pipes are full of diesel but slackened off injector nuts and nothing comes out when cranking. Seems to much a coincidence that lift pump or stop solenoid would have gone???
Flattened battery for second time now.
Thanks for help in advance
Dave
Hi I had the same fault on a 300E TD 1998 After weeks f trying changed the fuel pump and found that it was porous internally drawing air. Problem solved.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom