E300 Electrical Fault

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes benz E220 cdi estate W211 facelift 2008. Mercedes SL320 R129 1996.
Hi I hope someone may be able to help me here. I have an E300TD w210 estate. I have had numerous electrical gremlins but yesterday parked the car went to the shop when i came back car started ok but there was a burning smell which i didnt think was from my car (But it was) and i have no indicators and no electric windows also tail gate wont open and central locking wont work. I have disconected the battery and left it parked up at a friends house.

Previous to this i was having intermittant trouble with r/h rear electric window moving down by itself, and the white light at the bottom of the r/h rear door was staying on all the time(so i removed the bulb). I had notice that there was a slight drain on the battery also when the car was left for 2 to 3 days and i had to use a trickle charger to keep battery charged.

Any help would be great.

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have looked around the net and i am wondering has the K40 relay got anything to do with this, someone else on the net has indicated the central control unit which looks to me like an ECU Part No: 210 820 39 26. Does this unit control windows and indicators?.. I wont get back to the car until tomorrow so i can check where the burning smell is from.

thanks for any assistance:confused:

conway420

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E300 TD
I think i remember a similar problem but i can't remember how i sorted it, the engine started but nothing worked, i think i just took the earth off for a while and it reset, i (Think) i have a problem with my nearside front Door control module, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't, so i have to disconnect the earth and it usually resets it, but when researching this iirc someone mentioned to try disconnect the module for the door (Hidden inside some plastic triangle trim or something) the window isn't working on, then try again, you would have to be out of use of the rear window that's faulty, but not as bad as me having the drivers side front... Oddly now you mentioned it, I too remember a "slight" odd burning smell... hmmmm!

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think i remember a similar problem but i can't remember how i sorted it, the engine started but nothing worked, i think i just took the earth off for a while and it reset, i (Think) i have a problem with my nearside front Door control module, sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't, so i have to disconnect the earth and it usually resets it, but when researching this iirc someone mentioned to try disconnect the module for the door (Hidden inside some plastic triangle trim or something) the window isn't working on, then try again, you would have to be out of use of the rear window that's faulty, but not as bad as me having the drivers side front... Oddly now you mentioned it, I too remember a "slight" odd burning smell... hmmmm!
Thanks i will be looking at it later, I have the battery disconnected now for nearly 2 days now. So is there any resets i can try for the electrics apart from trying window reset. I will get a multimeter and check fuse's etc. I hope burning smell is not ECU?

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Battery drain of 0.18A at rest

Hi conway420 you were right with what you said about the reset. When i connected battery everything except 2 rear windows worked, So i drove it home. I have checked all fuse's and there are none blown. I am wondering is there moduals in the rear doors at fault. I have also checked for battery drain and i am getting 0.18A at rest with doors closed and light circuit off. I think this is high as i see somewhere else on the net 0.02A is correct drain:confused:

conway420

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E300 TD
annoying that both rear windows stopped working, it was only one with me, my drivers side front :mad: Try the rear washer if its an estate and see if the wiper arm works. 0.01/2A seems the norm, how long did you wait before testing the battery? Try waiting 15 / 20 minutes then test again.

If you get the same problem again where it starts and nothing works, disconnect the door control modules of each of the rear doors separately (with earth off!) to see if that fixes it, if it doesn't disconnect both and see..if that fails.. could be a battery or who knows? have any diagnostic friends? :Oops:

macker64

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W210 300 Td & 1991 W124 300CE 24V & 2001 W210 320CDI & W210 E200 1992 W124 300ce 24v sportline
Hi Atlantimd,
What part of Ireland are you from? I can help you troubleshoot your 300TD.

Regards, :D

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
annoying that both rear windows stopped working, it was only one with me, my drivers side front :mad: Try the rear washer if its an estate and see if the wiper arm works. 0.01/2A seems the norm, how long did you wait before testing the battery? Try waiting 15 / 20 minutes then test again.

If you get the same problem again where it starts and nothing works, disconnect the door control modules of each of the rear doors separately (with earth off!) to see if that fixes it, if it doesn't disconnect both and see..if that fails.. could be a battery or who knows? have any diagnostic friends? :Oops:

My rear wiper packed in about a year ago,I checked all fuse's and there was now 12v to the motor when switched on so i just done without it. I waited over 20 mins with the meter on it and it was showing 0.18A.

macker64 im in west of ireland

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi conway420 you were right with what you said about the reset. When i connected battery everything except 2 rear windows worked, So i drove it home. I have checked all fuse's and there are none blown. I am wondering is there moduals in the rear doors at fault. I have also checked for battery drain and i am getting 0.18A at rest with doors closed and light circuit off. I think this is high as i see somewhere else on the net 0.02A is correct drain:confused:

Yes you do have a rear door control unit in each of the rear doors, and there known to fail and cause spurious electrical faults in the car.
The control unit is the rear window motor, they normally fail because they get damp, sometimes removing them and drying them out in the airing cupboard will sort them.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997

Yes you do have a rear door control unit in each of the rear doors, and there known to fail and cause spurious electrical faults in the car, battery drains etc.
The control unit is the rear window motor, they normally fail because they get damp, sometimes removing them and drying them out in the airing cupboard will sort them.

OP
atlantimd

atlantimd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you do have a rear door control unit in each of the rear doors, and there known to fail and cause spurious electrical faults in the car, battery drains etc.

I have removed both connectors of the rear windows and I am getting 0.4A drain which is higher then before. All the wiring in the doors look ok. I have now got the previous problem back again with wipers and Indicators not working.

I am wondering what the connection is with the indicators and wipers and electric windows, Is there a common relay or control box. Previously i did have problems with the driver side window doing its own thing. It used to go down slightly un-commanded.

Is there DCM in the from doors controlling the back or"as i undersand the DCM is bolted onto the window motor."
Also i see there is a comfort modual somewhere in this car(Its an estate model) where is it located?

Thanks guys for your help
bare with me ill nail it !!!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom