E300td wont start

gamrie diesel

Reaction score
Hi all i have a 99 E300TD estate with 119000k on the clock was running like a dream untill today when in cut out and would not start when i was driving i thought it was out of diesel as it was quite low so i put in a couple of gallon but it still would not start not even offering to start.
I looked under the bonet and it doesnt seem to be lifting up the diesel to the filter,i tried filling the filter but still no offer to start,i also sucked up diesel through fuel pipe but diesel wont stay up.
The car did refuse to start early on to day but i loosend fuel pipe and did it up again and with a few cranks of the starter it went,i will be greatfull for any help

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
welcome to the forum, and welcome to my world! i too have a tempramental e300td of 1999 vintage. sounds like it needs the air bled from the fuel system to get it going this time but, judging by your comments about it needing a pipe undone and tightened to make it start earlier, id change the fuel tank strainer. i have a post here somewhere explaining how to do this. unfortunately its not been moved into the diy section, but its a 2 part thread due to only being able to put up 5 pics per post. job is easy once you get access where required. tank will be under your car though as mines a saloon. tank strainer costs in the region of £10-11 so its a cheap check!

OP
G

gamrie diesel

Reaction score
thanks turbopete i will investigate the tank strainer today so fingers crossed

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Before you tackle the tank strainer I'd replace all the O-rings on the underbonnet fuel system. This is normally where air leaks in. The O-rings are about 80p each from a dealer

If you do a search you'll find this is a common fault on 605 & 606 engines. It happens to all of them at some point. The simplest, cheapest job to do is the O-rings and it's also the fix with the highest chances of success

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

simon_wall69

Reaction score
Before you tackle the tank strainer I'd replace all the O-rings on the underbonnet fuel system. This is normally where air leaks in. The O-rings are about 80p each from a dealer

If you do a search you'll find this is a common fault on 605 & 606 engines. It happens to all of them at some point. The simplest, cheapest job to do is the O-rings and it's also the fix with the highest chances of success

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Most of us suffer this at some point - the most common is the one in the pre-filter but, as Nick says, change them all. You will have to at some point anyway. Also, change the pre-filter in the housing as this isn't always done during servicing and these don't cost much either.

OP
G

gamrie diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies it is much appreceated,any how i went over to my garage today and to my supprise the car started first time,so i changed fuel filter just in case and got car running then when driving home about 20 miles the car cut out again and showed EPC engine electronics so tried to start agin but not even an offer all fuel pipes and filter are full .
I am a bit confused here and could any one tell me where diagnostic plug in is thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
diagnostic plug on my (RHD) car is under the bonnet in the fuse box at drivers side near bottom of the windscreen.
i still thing its the tank strainer. seen this before and the car would start and run fine, then would cut out. leave for a while and it starts and runs fine again! other option, as someone suggested for my car, is crank sensor

Last edited:
OP
G

gamrie diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys i fixed car today with a new crank sensor from mercedes at a cost of £49+vat and fitted it my self it was a 10 minute job car is running fine now :):D:D:D:D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
is the sensor at the front or rear of the engine? havent had chance to look at mine yet!

OP
G

gamrie diesel

Reaction score
the crank sensor is located on right hand side of engine at rear (looking at engine from front of car)it is at the back beside starter and is held in place with 5mill allen key.
because i have quite big hands ifond it easer to remove it from underneth.
you can also see it quite well if you shine a torch down at rear of intake induction.
Just look for starter and you will find it easy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom