E320 car shuddering at low spead feels as though car is in wrong gear ...

astorz

Reaction score
E320 cdi 2002 - For all those who have a car that you think is in the wrong gear when travelling at low speed up to say 30 mph - I finally have the solution after trying numerous suggestions from Forum members, garages and Mercedes....all to no avail... I took it to Hornsey Automatic Transmissions (0207 263 6920) who knew immediately what the problem was. They have had numerous cars with this problem and have devised a fix for about £300 plus vat. Not being very mechanical I jotted down my understanding of the problem: Inside the gearbox you have a Tork Converter . Inside that is a Friction Clutch Plate that comes on automatically - this is what is causing the problem - my understanding is that they partially dismember the valve chest which stops the lock up valve from working. That stops the Lock up plate from working - as a result the car runs beautifully and is back to how it was.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Except you now have a non-functioning lock-up clutch in the torque converter, which is not how it was when it left the factory.

Seems like a bodge,not a fix.

OP
A

astorz

Reaction score
I know - but the car is running perfectly now. They were a bit concerned that the gear box oil was black - they said it was not a good sign - but as I really did not want to spend over £700 which was the alternative, this was a good fix which should give me a couple of years, or more. I only do town driving in central london - and I will probably change the car next year or the year after. They changed all the filters and oil etc.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom