E320 cdi estate '01 - rear brake calipers

S

Stevitee

Had my E320 CDI in to have the brake pads replaced all round today. Garage (whom I trust - have known 'forever') tell me that they cannot 'do' the rear pads because they are unable to free up the pins that hold them in. These have corroded in place and hence the only course is to replace both rear calipers.

My questions (and your answers will be appreciated) are these:

1. What 'W' number is my car - I think the saloon is W210 but what # is the Estate version?

2. I'd like to avoid paying Merc prices (bound to be excessive) for the calipers if possible. Does anyone know whether pattern parts are available and how much . Alternatively, I can see a selection on eBay ranging from £40 - £80 per side but must be sure of the model number etc (hence the 'W' question above). The lads at my garage have no hang ups about me sourcing/supplying the parts.

Any help will be welcomed

Thanks, Steve

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
What i used to do was cut the pins then knock them out, common fault and they can be re-moved!

OP
S

Stevitee

Hi 'SAM'

Thanks for the welcome and for the information. Presumably, the pins are obtainable separately? ....... As you may have guessed, I haven't been underneath to have look but what are the pins like - a solid shaft like affair I presume? Sorry if that sounds like a dim question but whenever I have done any work on brakes in the past its just simply been a case of renewing a couple of split-pins. No doubt on Mercs they are a more solid arrangement. I'll need to convince the lads at the garage so if there's any 'mechanic to mechanic' tips you can pass on I'll be grateful

Kind regards
Steve

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Steve

If you email me boss@mercanic.co.uk with you chassis number I might have two rear calipers for your car, used but in good condition.

The rears do suffer on the C and e class but I have never found removing the pins a problem, they tend to rot themselves in but do come out with force.

jib

OP
S

Stevitee

All

Thanks guys - (to 'jib' in particular) for all the advice. I have now been able to appreciate the extent of the peripheral corrosion/damage to the callipers and will now sell a kidney to pay for their complete replacement.

I was impressed with the instant responses and will come back another day when, no doubt, something else will crop up and need de-mystifying.

Thanks again........

martinh4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97 E230 avantgarde estate
Hi, I have run into same problem with the pins, does anyone know the part number or where I can buy them online? thanks.

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
you can get a new calliper each from otto in ireland 86 euro including vat no extra cost
and they are original parts

Top Bottom