E320 noise from front wheel

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Hi, I have a 2009 e320 CDI sport which I have had for about 4 months and love! The problem is there is a rubbing/scraping noise from the passenger front wheel which is driving me mad. This changes with speed i.e. it is like a revolving noise. so far I have done the following:

1. Swapped the front wheels over
2. Swapped the back wheels over
3. Put new front disks and pads on
4. The tires are fine, no bulges etc

The noise is still there. When I look at the disk it does appear to rotate in a non true way (just like the old ones)?

Does anyone have any suggestions, I was toying with the idea of replacing the hub, but I'd like to keep expenses to a minimum.

Thanks

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Does it do it when stationery and jacked up, spin wheel and check ?
Try removing brake pads and spinning .
Or the ABS sensor remove clean and replace.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Wheel bearing.

Does it remain constant or will ot reduce when turning either to the left or right?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
info

One nice day in the summer i was on my way to do a bit of night fishing at the rear of Worcestershire cathedral about 4 miles away from it i came to some roadworks .And then a patch of tar. Took my time with the Volvo so i did not get any up the bodywork. Pulling off the road above the severn at the 24 hour garage.This was the place i parked, as the chap in there for a few notes would watch it for me. On my way home at 4am i had this noise from moveing off.This noise was sort squeak and a whine in one. So it was time to investigate. Out with the tools ,wheel off .As i was spining the wheel i can hear the noise.And on moving around the disc i saw what i thought was a stone ,jammed between the disc and dirt shield ,or backplate. Soon fixed this ,take a look yours might be the same.The tar had stuck to gravel throwing it up and and down in to the disc.

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Thanks for the replies.

Frontstep: I'll look into this when I have time over Christmas.

Nariac: I'm not sure whether it is a wheel bearing, it doesn't sound like it but I'm no expert. The sound continues whether I turn right or left as far as I can tell.

Dreamer No2: I'm not sure it is the issue as you described as I have already replaced the disks and brake pads?

Any other thoughts from anyone?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Jack the wheel and rock it from top and bottom, there should be no play that you can feel.

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Update: I have looked at everything that the earlier posts suggested now and the noise (a sort of dup dup dup which is linked to speed) is still there. What I have done also is:

1. Took the pads off the passenger front side and drove the car (not public highway). The noise was still there as before!
2. Swapped the back wheel to the front passenger side (I know this is a 265 tire and the front is a 245) and the front to the back and drove the car (not public highway) and guess what, no noise!

So now i'm really confused because I had already swapped the two front wheels over earlier and the noise stayed on the passenger front side. If I hadn't done this I would have assumed that it was the wheel or tire.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Hi, are there no further suggestions? i'm pretty much stuck now if not?

chardF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 1994 320 R129
Are you sure it's a front wheel? Maybe the prop shaft?

MercSLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320/2003/M112
A 265 is quite a wide tyre. Are you sure that that is the correct tyre size for your car? Is it possible that someone in the past has fitted wider wheels or tyres than the car was designed for? It may be that the rogue wheel is fitted with a tyre which has a slightly distorted carcase and the side wall is rubbing on some part of the rear suspension. Take the wheel off and look carefully for witness marks on the suspension components of the car.

MercSLK

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A 265 is quite a wide tyre. Are you sure that that is the correct tyre size for your car? Is it possible that someone in the past has fitted wider wheels or tyres than the car was designed for? It may be that the rogue wheel is fitted with a tyre which has a slightly distorted carcase and the side wall is rubbing on some part of the rear suspension. Take the wheel off and look carefully for witness marks on the suspension components of the car.

MercSLK

265x18 is a standard fitment on a W/S211 E class rear wheel. 245 on the front.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It may be that the rogue wheel is fitted with a tyre which has a slightly distorted carcase and the side wall is rubbing on some part of the rear suspension. Take the wheel off and look carefully for witness marks on the suspension components of the car.

MercSLK

This thought crossed my mind too. But if the front wheels have been swapped over and the noise is still there I don't see how this could occur.

I would jack up the front of the car and carefully inspect both front wheels for tread/sidewall damage or a large stone jammed in the tread. The fact the noise disappears when a rear tyre is mounted points to some kind of damage to one or both fronts.

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
Re prop shaft, I'm not sure of anything but I don't think that this is the issue as the noise seems to go away when I swap the back wheel to the front etc.

AMGeeD: I will try as you suggest.

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
There is no front wheel tread/sidewall damage or stones jammed in the tread as far as I can see?! This seems to be impossible to diagnose?

Are there any other thoughts? I'm wondering whether I should replace the wheel bearing just to see if that fixes is, though a dup, dup, dup sort of noise isn't what I'm used to hearing when a wheel bearing has gone?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi, I have a 2009 e320 CDI sport which I have had for about 4 months and love! The problem is there is a rubbing/scraping noise from the passenger front wheel which is driving me mad. Thanks
Hi
Have you had the noise from day one ?

OP
W

welshwonder08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e320 CDI Sport
When I first had the car I noticed, what I put down to, tyre/road noise which was more noticeable on the front passenger side. It wasn't the dup, dup, dup noise that I have today, but on reflection, that could have been the start of something?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Take the front wheels to a tyre shop for balancing one where you can watch the wheels being done.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
yes you could have balance issues or tyre damage which will be visible when they attach it to there balancing machine

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
HELP

Your problem brings to mind a car i had some years ago.But the noise was on the rear.Did all i knew to stop it. As my noise was intermitent ,not there all the time.First sign i had was not long after i purchased it.This thump thump like going over the cats eyes in the road.I would removed the wheel ,and put it back in another location on the disc. I had to do this to stop the noise . Then a week or less and it was back again. Strip down revealed a ball bearing in the race chipped ,ie it had this flat on it. You may have one, or even two, with a flat on.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom