e320 Rear Axle shaft removal.

corfco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 '03 3.2
Hi there, Hope this is in the right section, I did search extensively and couldn't find any specifics, so apologies if this is a duplication.

I have recently had an issue with ABS ESP errors, resulting from rear left ABS sensor. After changing the sensor (upon eventually removing the old one which snapped off!) the problem is still evident.
I removed the new sensor, and upon peering into the hole can see th reluctor ring has split, and is not turning, hence the error.
I believe I can get a replacement from reluctorrings dot com, which I can fit to the existing axle, but wondered whats involved in exposing/removing the axle to gain access?
Can anyone give me any pointers, and or details of any special tools I would need please?
I wondered if I should undo the wheel carrier at the top or the bottom to 'tilt out' so I can pull out the shaft?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
There are one or two members who have done this.
I don't know if anyone has posted up ow to do it, but I'm sure that someone will be along to let you know.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You undo the bolts inner for the drive shaft and the large nut on the end and the shaft is out

OP
C

corfco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 '03 3.2
You undo the bolts inner for the drive shaft and the large nut on the end and the shaft is out

Thanks for replys, I had a look at this, and it seems the diff end has no bolts to drop the shaft on the inside. Axle shaft seems to slide into diff, so I guess I need to remove the top or bottom of wheel carrier so I can pull the shaft out?

OP
C

corfco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 '03 3.2
You will have to strip the suspension down on that side to remove the shaft.

Thanks Scotty, will I have to remove the wheel carrier, or could I get away with just taking bolts out of top or bottom and tilting wheel carrier, looks a bit involved, happy to take on most things, but not sure about this?
Any idea how long it SHOULD take, or any special tools I may need?
Thanks

scotty2hotty81

Reaction score
Yes it is involved tbh, the hub pretty much has to come off, at least enough to swing it out the way, remove all of the control arms (hub side) caliper etc if you can then remove the shaft the pain is lining the hub up to locate all of the control arms you have disconnected, if there is any doubt I'd take it to a garage.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I have replaced a few reluctor rings on the rear of 211's. If it helps you give me a call at the garage in the morning and I will talk you through it
0208 8639233

OP
C

corfco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 '03 3.2
Quick update, just for completeness.
I stripped down to the point where I wanted to remove the hub, so I could manipulate the shaft clear of wheel carrier.
Hub nut removed, and used a variety of pullers without success trying to pull off the hub, so I could manipulate shaft out.
Is there anything which retains the hub on the shaft other than the nut, did I miss something or are the hubs just really, really tight?

initialbdriftracer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
W220 s500. Year 2000 airmatic
this can be a bit dangerous, but when a shaft wont move, i put a ball hammer against the shaft, with the nut on a few threads, then hit it with a heavy lump hammer. usually works for me.

wear eye protection.
as my boss said, the only time i was beaten, i wasnt there.

Top Bottom