E320 S210 front springs

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum so bear with me!
I have a 02 E320 S210 Elegance estate with SLS. I just noticed yesterday that my front tires are wearing very badly on the inside of the tyre (almost to the wire) These tires have only done about 5k. I only have the car about 12 months and I have always thought that the front sits very low. So my question(s) is.

1. Does anyone have a similar car and can tell me the correct height for the front of this car

2. Does this problem sound like weak/incorrect springs. The springs on it seem unmarked and have no MB part number on them!

3. If it does need new springs (the ones that are on it are OEM and I think they may be incorrect) what is the mercedes part number of them.

4. Can springs be purchased else were for this car and how do I know they will be correct! (might not have the money for MB ones!!)

Thanks for your help. Love all the help on the forum, it really does making owning a MB much easier (and cheaper)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Quite possibly one or both front springs have snapped. The only way to ensure you get the correctly specified springs is to go to MB with the VIN

OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
I have already rang a MB dealer here in Ireland and they say I need to check what colour spots are on the springs.......as the ones that are on it arent MB they dont have any "coloured spots"
Snookered

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Any decent MB parts guy can work it out using your VIN. It takes a little time and adding up, that's all!

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C63 AMG Wagon Edition 125 2011
How do you know that they are not MB springs ?.
I had my front springs changed a couple of months ago , I didn't think
that my old ones were colour coded , but they were .

It wasn't in an obvious place , but at the top of spring on the inside , so I
Had to crawl underneath and use a torch to see it.

BTW
Mine sat low also , and I new one had snapped at the bottom ,
but the other side had snapped in 3 places , but still drove fine !.

Rob

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I didn't need the colour thingies when I had a front pair of springs, but you need to find a parts guy who knows what he's doing. If it is confirmed as a spring or springs shot, then may well be worth having the front geometry checked - but finding someone who knows what they're doing is another challange

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think you are going on a wild goose chase over the springs.
The car needs examining on a ramp and the tracking checking preferably over the four wheels.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Mine sat low and hit ramps etc when I first got it. Both springs were broken , in the same place, about 2 inches from the lower end.

I couldn't see the colours, but with my VIN the MB guys got the correct springs. These are not expensive BTW.

I would also check the other suspension components for wear.

My car, which is an Avantgarde measures 14.25 inches (36.25 cms) from wheel centre to the top of the arch. An Elegance should sit higher by about 25mm.

Last edited:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
the 210 also suffers from corrosion at the top of the spring where the mount joins the main
internal wing bodywork, so maybe if not broken springs, that top mount is bending upwards causing car to lower.

If that is happening, then one day your front suspension will collapse as the spring top mount breaks away from the bodywork, and the spring will fly out and/or lodge against the wheel causing tyre to burst.

It sounds alarming, and it is. It has been experienced by many 210 owners, so get car checked out on a proper lift in the air by an experienced Mercedes technician.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
the 210 also suffers from corrosion at the top of the spring where the mount joins the main
internal wing bodywork, so maybe if not broken springs, that top mount is bending upwards causing car to lower.

If that is happening, then one day your front suspension will collapse as the spring top mount breaks away from the bodywork, and the spring will fly out and/or lodge against the wheel causing tyre to burst.

It sounds alarming, and it is. It has been experienced by many 210 owners, so get car checked out on a proper lift in the air by an experienced Mercedes technician.

That's a little dramatic. If it was a perch, then they go suddenly...and very very unlikely both together at a progressive rate.

OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Thanks Naraic, from the centre of MB star in the wheel straight up to the wheel arch measures 35.5cm This is lower than yours!
Any one out there with a S210 Elegance that would do this measurement please?

Im going to ring a different MB dealer tomorrow and see will they give me a price from the vin number. The problem where I live is about 3 hours from nearest dealer so if I do order them I will get them delivered and fitted by a local garage.

Is there any good website that I can order the equivalent quality springs for this car or must it be MB springs all the way

Thanks again for all your replies. I'll post again to let you know how get on with the stealer...I mean dealer!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Thanks Naraic, from the centre of MB star in the wheel straight up to the wheel arch measures 35.5cm This is lower than yours!
Any one out there with a S210 Elegance that would do this measurement please?

Im going to ring a different MB dealer tomorrow and see will they give me a price from the vin number. The problem where I live is about 3 hours from nearest dealer so if I do order them I will get them delivered and fitted by a local garage.

Is there any good website that I can order the equivalent quality springs for this car or must it be MB springs all the way

Thanks again for all your replies. I'll post again to let you know how get on with the stealer...I mean dealer!

3 hours??? Tony Kelly in Letterkenny?

OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Round trip from Sligo to either westport, Galway or Letterkenny.
There is a MB commercial dealer down the road that I have got parts off before but he cant look up part numbers for cars but if I give him MB part numbers he can order them

What do you think of the ride height, it's low isnt it?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Round trip from Sligo to either westport, Galway or Letterkenny.
There is a MB commercial dealer down the road that I have got parts off before but he cant look up part numbers for cars but if I give him MB part numbers he can order them

What do you think of the ride height, it's low isnt it?

Yep low...but I like it that way. Bring the back down to match it'll look good. Wont help your tyres though.;)

OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
I'd prefer to have my tires last longer than 5k!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would still start with your tracking.
Bottom wishbone inner bushes being worn gives inner tyre wear.
Thats what cured mine.
My car an elegance estate from centre of star to wheel arch 35cm.
The car is facing forwards up a slight slope on the drive though.
My car sits straight has new front springs and control arms and has had a full check of its tracking.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Look at this

Attachments

• wymiary-mercedes-klasa-e-w210-kombi-s210.jpg
    wymiary-mercedes-klasa-e-w210-kombi-s210.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Thanks Frontstep, so height is about the same as mine. Need to find someone who knows what they are doing and check the tracking and stuff

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
No point in throwing money away a tracking check will tell a lot and if they are competent they will soon spot anything untoward.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom