E320 W211 gearbox problem

supermario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 W211 2004
Hi,
I've got a problem with my automatic gearbox. I've got Mercedes E320 (54 plate) It happened to me maybe 3 times over last 9 months. When problem occurs car doesn't want to go over second or third gear. When I slow down it drops down gears without problem and goes up when I accelerate but only to 2 or 3 gear. When I switch off ignition problem disappears. What can be the problem?
Hope I explained it clear enough, if not just let me know.

Thx for help
Mario

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It sounds like a speed plate fault but best to have a STAR read out with a good indie to be sure, it may make a difference if the gearbox memory is cleared

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
You need the fault codes read on a star machine to start with........could be a couple of things??

Welcome to the forums...

OP
S

supermario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 W211 2004
Hi guys
So my car today came up with the same problem again today. However this time it was accompanied by one more additional thing - when I pressed acceleration pedal it didn't do anything, no engine response, just idle revs. It stayed like that for about 30 seconds then came back to normal. Looking at some other thread http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108409 I think whether it could be similiar issue because 2 months ago it started coming up with a message on dashboard saying "Convenience functions temporarily unavailable" and this is battery related issue. So far i've got no problems starting the car but this could mean that battery needs replacing. Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It all depends on what the car is used for, if all shortish runs, then the battery could with a good charge once a month,,,if the battery voltage is too low when cranking, then fault can occur as the ECUs in the chain cannot set correctly.

If the car is OK on a restart, then the battery possible on the way out, but best checked with a volt meter

OP
S

supermario

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 W211 2004
yhx for reply, I'm going to book it in at my local MB dealer in Kidlington, Oxford and get diagnostics done

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheaper with a good indie and often better

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom