E320cdi s211 - Needs total gearbox rebuild

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
have to say 'I feel your pain' after buying my S211 this time last year.
First a door lock.......then a duo valve......then the oil cooler filled TC with antifreeze.....then the cooling fans packed up.....then the soft close on the boot!!!
Totalled around £3500 so far in the first years ownership.......luckily I paid an extra £700 for a warranty, but I also worried about what if's..............but the SBC thing is just one of those things.
I get in and drive it when everything works, and that's enough to convince me to keep it. I have just bought the wife a cheap old Micra for shopping runs. She loves it, cheap and cheerful, but means she is not putting stop start mileage on the Merc. In fact for the last 4 weeks it has done about 15 miles............just glad it has a nice new battery!!!

Keep it, at least you know what HAS been done, and more important......the standard to which it has been repaired!!

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
Dronsfields will supply a used box for a reasonable cost, usually without too many miles on it and it will come with a 3 month warranty. They send them out on a pallet for about £350 usually.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Dronsfields will supply a used box for a reasonable cost, usually without too many miles on it and it will come with a 3 month warranty. They send them out on a pallet for about £350 usually.

This could be a much cheaper fix as these boxes hardly give any problems of this nature

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I will speak to Ian from Star Motors on Monday & understand what my options are.

Iceboy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I will speak to Ian from Star Motors on Monday & understand what my options are.

Iceboy

Ian might go along with the idea, nothing worse than a horrible fault , and a rare one too

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
I just want to make sure I have no more problems, with the gearbox, EVER!

I shall keep this post updated.

Thanks once again.

Iceboy

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I just want to make sure I have no more problems, with the gearbox, EVER!

I shall keep this post updated.

Thanks once again.

Iceboy

Buying s/hand there is no guarantee of that. I will have more info once the box and tc are stripped. Box removed and ready to strip.

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Buying s/hand there is no guarantee of that. I will have more info once the box and tc are stripped. Box removed and ready to strip.

it will come with a 3 month warranty. They send them out on a pallet for about £350 usually

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it will come with a 3 month warranty. They send them out on a pallet for about £350 usually

Yes I know and we have done this before, but what happens after 3 months? Also what happens if the gearbox that's supplied is faulty ( they are not tested before removal), then another has to be sent out and fitted ( another fitting charge?) or the vehicle has to be sent back to dronsfield for them to fit another.

chizzel89

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto. Estate. 1998. 180,000 mls
Yes I know and we have done this before, but what happens after 3 months? Also what happens if the gearbox that's supplied is faulty ( they are not tested before removal), then another has to be sent out and fitted ( another fitting charge?) or the vehicle has to be sent back to dronsfield for them to fit another.[/QUOT

Unless the boxes are known to expire at a certain mileage, which few are, then any problems should surely come to light well within 3 months.
Dronsfields told me they test drive all the cars and won't sell parts which are suspected to be faulty.
It's a small gamble, but it's one I would take. Then again I would do the work myself which is somewhat different/ less costly.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Yes I know and we have done this before, but what happens after 3 months? Also what happens if the gearbox that's supplied is faulty ( they are not tested before removal), then another has to be sent out and fitted ( another fitting charge?) or the vehicle has to be sent back to dronsfield for them to fit another.

Please forgive this brief hijack...
Star, are you the same chap i spoke with last year in the car park of A1 breakers? Ive got silver 203 saloon. Just saying hello :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Are Euromerc listing a gearbox.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please forgive this brief hijack...
Star, are you the same chap i spoke with last year in the car park of A1 breakers? Ive got silver 203 saloon. Just saying hello :)

No myself but it could have been one of my guys? :)

Quigs

Reaction score
Just to let you know I had exactly the same issues last year and got the box completely re-built for £1200 inc VAT so not too bad considering. It'll probably outlive the car now!

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
That man must be uncle Ron! And no better transmission man around

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update for you.

I go the car back today and put 50 gentle miles on her.

She is a smooth as butter !

This car has now had over £3500 spent and to be honest, if she drive the ways she does now, I will be a very happy man.

A huge thank you to Ian and the rest of the team at Star Motors Reading. They have been really helpful and supportive.

I will keep this post up dated like a blog over the coming weeks. I don't think there will be any surprises.

The E320 cdi AG - s211 is a truly epic car, when working the way it should........and mine is now a real gem!

Thats all folks.
IceBoy

Thanks Ian !!

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
Hi Everyone,

So a quick update for you all. I put 600 miles on the clock over the last 10 days or so.

I noticed an additional radiator in front of my main radiator. This is apparently the gearbox oil cooler.......well all I can say is that this box is now:

Smoother
Quicker at all changes up or down
Excellent from cold, with no noise or wines

In fact, this gear box is better than that in my wifes w204 which is relatively low milage and only a few years old.

A massive thanks to Star Motors and the Gearbox Guru.

The car is Epic.

IceBoy

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
great to hear:cool:..... enjoy it even more now;)

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
3000 miles later and the car is just getting better and better!
IceBoy

PS. Thanks to Ian and the team at star motors!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom