E350 2010 Struggles to start when cold

GaryRob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Diesel
Hi Fellow Merc People. Appologies for my first post here to be asking for help.

My E350 has been having some cold start issues for the last few months. It has no problem starting when warm , just cold.

When left overnight ,In the morning I need to give it 4/5 heats to get it to start. Once it is warm it runs and drives fine, no smoke etc.

Ive pulled all the glow plugs out today and tested them with Jumper cables. All worked fine. I then tested them in the loom, but still out and earthed and can see them all glow again. I can only count 2 seconds of glowing. Is that right?

Ive put it all back together again and its the same. In my mind ive rulled out the Glow plugs and the relay. Any other Ideas please?

No error codes and apart from this it runs sweet as a nut. The only thing I could fault it on is it does run a little cold. 50/60 deg stat change next weekend.

Many thanks for looking

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and Welcome,

~85-90 is normal Running temp so you’re very cold

OP
G

GaryRob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Diesel
Thank you.

It will get to temp eventually but it does take some time. I am going to change asap though.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Hi Fellow Merc People. Appologies for my first post here to be asking for help.

My E350 has been having some cold start issues for the last few months. It has no problem starting when warm , just cold.

When left overnight ,In the morning I need to give it 4/5 heats to get it to start. Once it is warm it runs and drives fine, no smoke etc.

Ive pulled all the glow plugs out today and tested them with Jumper cables. All worked fine. I then tested them in the loom, but still out and earthed and can see them all glow again. I can only count 2 seconds of glowing. Is that right?

Ive put it all back together again and its the same. In my mind ive rulled out the Glow plugs and the relay. Any other Ideas please?

No error codes and apart from this it runs sweet as a nut. The only thing I could fault it on is it does run a little cold. 50/60 deg stat change next weekend.

Many thanks for looking
Have a look at this it's a comprehensive guide for a Jeep but the same sort of engine may give you a clue.

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
I thought the plugs were supposed to stay on on the 642 engine so I would suspect the relay to be faulty which is common at that age . Used to be about £120+ have a look on ebay

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thank you.

It will get to temp eventually but it does take some time. I am going to change asap though.

I would get this done ASAP it will affect mpg drastically and probably the DPF. Mine went down a couple of years ago and the engine ran like a pig. My glowplug light stays on about 2 seconds if that helps but I would definitely do the stat first it may have a bearing on your cold starting

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
I really can't see how a thermostat will affect cold starting , the operative word being cold , it obviously needs changing but won't affect starting.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Ive a used relay from a om642 . £30 plus postage if int.

OP
G

GaryRob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Diesel
:) Arrived yesterday morning and I put it straight on. Been out to start this morning on a very frosty day after two days sat on the drive and boom....first go!... New stat on the way later today. Many thanks for all your help guys. Especially onefortheroad for my cheap fix part.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:) Arrived yesterday morning and I put it straight on. Been out to start this morning on a very frosty day after two days sat on the drive and boom....first go!... New stat on the way later today. Many thanks for all your help guys. Especially onefortheroad for my cheap fix part.

Ive a few more to sell you lol. Glad it worked out for you.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi are these relays still available i am having problems starting in a morning

I only had the 1 m8. Have a look on ebay ... new ones are about £86 ??? Beru ..

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom