E350 2011 Cab - Air Deflector Not going down above windscreen

Darrens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl500 2007, C350 cab 2011
Is there a way of getting the wind deflector to go down and stay down? Our tried to go down, but just before reaching fully closed, it fully extends again.
It can go through this cycle repeatedly even if the car is locked.

I’ve checked for any obstructions etc. MB main dealer has said software update did not work. Unit needs replacing.

Darrens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update will take about 15 mins if online is behaving. And yes, fitted cost of the deflector is about £600+VAT.
Hi Steve,
I’ll call the office on monday. I’m not too far from you so seams I better get a quote from you if that’s ok.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Is there a way of getting the wind deflector to go down and stay down? Our tried to go down, but just before reaching fully closed, it fully extends again.
It can go through this cycle repeatedly even if the car is locked.

I’ve checked for any obstructions etc. MB main dealer has said software update did not work. Unit needs replacing.

Mine takes about 25 button presses but goes down eventually ..persevere then leave the beggar alone I suggest and save the stupid cost of it..it’s pretty ridiculous cost for such an item when on,y a very small part is buggered..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darrens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just came across this in one of my old threads from last year ..

E350 aircap stuck
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=26569&share_tid=161862&url=http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/E350-aircap-stuck.161862/&share_type=t

Update for others that experience this.....

Merc HQ want nothing to do with it despite main dealer acknowledging that it isn't really good enough that this failure happens on a part that is rarely used....

Confirmed - over £1200 to resolve though either main dealer or independent... (replacement unit required) and as it is clearly some sort of design fault it will probably fail again.

Have found cable (behind screen console) and disconnecting it (just at the moment the air cap deflector is it at it lowest) stops it raising again, however the air deflector never fully retracts.

If commit to get fixed properly in future as I can't get mine fully retracted, I will first remove the unit and inspect in detail to figure out what is wrong - sensor vs mechanical failure.

If could get fully retracted permanently, would certainly not bother to fix.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I agree this isn’t worth the cost given the benefit it gives. Mine is down but I still can put it up by mistake then press the button god knows how many times and it comes down... does yours not come down at all?

Literally I press the button about 30 times and it goes down ...

WAM 9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 Cabriolet 2011
interesting to see the problems this worthless component is therefore is it possible to disconnect this Air Cap to stop this from happing

ian lunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS, E CLASS CONVERTABLE
Did anyone ever take one of these off and da a close inspection as to what can cause this, it seems to help if i put bit of pressure in middle while it comes down, also notice switch left hand light stays on while in faulty mode. Has anyone found exploded view of mechanics of the unit?

Amar Singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class cab
Hi. I have a 2013 E250 and I'm experiencing the same issue.

The windscreen deflector stays in the open position. Strangely it goes all the way down and immediately back up when I lock/unlock the doors or start/stop the engine.

The light also stays on. I don't believe it's a mechanical issue as theres no obstructions and it literally goes all the way down for a good second before it goes back up.

Has anybody else experienced the same and found a resolution? I would rather disconnect it somehow than to replace the entire unit.

Dave Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E class convertible E350 CDI
Mine only opens on one side laughably. However, as the only apparent benefit is to rear passengers, and I rarely have rear passengers, shelling out £140 for the wind deflector that goes over the back seats was the best money I've spent! Works brilliantly.

Luke Thomas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2013
Recently had this issues.

Managed to fix it , after trying all the above I had no luck.

Applied downwards pressure and spammed the button once it was at its ‘lowest’ point. Now back to the original position … where it will stay!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
not in my experience tbh ... it’s a really marginal difference if any ...

At a cost to replace of c £1200 (whole unit plus time for what is likely a very small failed component ) though I’d settle for some very minor wind if indeed it’s there instead ..... ridiculous cost to fix

Steve Said £600 +VAT which is £720 (Still ridiculous though)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom