E350 2011 Cab - Air Deflector Not going down above windscreen

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Weird one this.

First time of opening this year was a couple of weeks ago , put the top down and put the air deflector up at front ... all fine ..

Stop car put the hood back up and deflector tries to go down but gets half way and goes back up ... tried a few times to get it to go down by pressing the button but each time it gets almost down then goes back up ...

Checked nothing is blocking it and it’s ok ... eventually it goes down on attempt 8 or so.

Left it as is and put it back up today ..again the thing would go half way down then pop back up ... after what seemed like 30 attempts to close it down it went.

Anyone have any idea on a fix? Needless to say I won’t be putting it up again anytime soon!

It’s this thing here for those unsure what I mean..

a1a55c6b09554f717845ff8969bf1734.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
There must be something that stops it if obstructed and this is stopping it retracting. Probably a visit to your dealer or indie unless there is something obvious to clean.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Common problem, software update available to attempt a fix and if it doesnt work you will need a new unit.

The hall sensors lose their values.

Any idea of costs Steve?

Does sw update have to be done by main dealer or can it be done by an indie?

There is no obstruction on it.. first thing I checked...

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Anyone with online star can do the update, as Steve said, it’s a 50/50 shot if the update cures it........

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Must be really annoying as it is ugly (when deployed)...put me off buying the E Class Cab when I was looking......Am still considering it as a replacement for the SL when the time comes - will be watching this thread.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
This doesn't help your problem, but I don't see any benefit when I put it up, just more wind noise. I'm 6'2 and my hair is untouched by wind with it up or down.

Not sure why it would put you off buying the car either, something that is optional to the driver whether to deploy it or not...

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
This doesn't help your problem, but I don't see any benefit when I put it up, just more wind noise. I'm 6'2 and my hair is untouched by wind with it up or down.

Not sure why it would put you off buying the car either, something that is optional to the driver whether to deploy it or not...

I thought it was automatic and I believe is intended for the passengers in the rear seat! Pity about the wind noise as well as the stupid look!

Philip1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Convertible
Mine does this too, but I think its a bit rubbish anyway.

My old CLK cab had a windbreak you could put behind the front seats. No noise and no wind at 100+.

Is there anything available like that for this one?

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
The things you have to do to stop your toupee flying off ! :p

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I find no difference for the driver head wise, but do very much notice the difference in removing the air being pulled forward from the rear seats. This is where it makes the difference for both read and front.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought it was automatic and I believe is intended for the passengers in the rear seat! Pity about the wind noise as well as the stupid look!

It’s not automatic ..there is a button to put it up ..it drops automatically , or should , when you put the roof back up...

It does make a difference to rear seat but tbh I can drop the seat in the front low enough it makes no difference ...

A sw update might fix it the. That’s ok but to be a whole new unit won’t be cheap so I won’t be doing that...

I see on another thread in another forum figures quotes of £800 for the unit ... patently not worth that ...

Do any of the indies here know roughly how long a sw update would take and the approximate cost?

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine does this too, but I think its a bit rubbish anyway.

My old CLK cab had a windbreak you could put behind the front seats. No noise and no wind at 100+.

Is there anything available like that for this one?

Yes there is , I had similar for the BMW 3 series I had and an Audi , but tbh it’s a faff and looks horrible...also stops you using the rear seats..

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
It’s not automatic ..there is a button to put it up ..it drops automatically , or should , when you put the roof back up...

It does make a difference to rear seat but tbh I can drop the seat in the front low enough it makes no difference ...

A sw update might fix it the. That’s ok but to be a whole new unit won’t be cheap so I won’t be doing that...

I see on another thread in another forum figures quotes of £800 for the unit ... patently not worth that ...

Do any of the indies here know roughly how long a sw update would take and the approximate cost?

Update will take about 15 mins if online is behaving. And yes, fitted cost of the deflector is about £600+VAT.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Do you have the choice of having that front deflector sticking out or not sticking out when the roof is down?

In my SL, I have to manually put the rear deflector up but .......when I close the roof it goes down until I manually (push a button) put it up again.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have the choice of having that front deflector sticking out or not sticking out when the roof is down?

In my SL, I have to manually put the rear deflector up but .......when I close the roof it goes down until I manually (push a button) put it up again.

Yes ... you have to activate it manually via a button press

Darrens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl500 2007, C350 cab 2011
Hi Gkinghorn

How did you get on with this. I have exactly the same issue with C Class cab.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Gkinghorn

How did you get on with this. I have exactly the same issue with C Class cab.

On the basis it’s real purpose is for the rear passengers (who are never present) I just make sure I don’t activate it.

When it goes for its next service I will get them to update the SW and see what happens...

Once it goes up it takes about 20 or so button pushes to go down but it eventually goes ...

Sorry I can’t be more helpful...

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible

It depends on the year in the E class. Earlier cars it was manual, later cars speed dependent (with override). Later ones suffered issues (usually sticking down rather than up) so the software update turned it back to manual to take the stresses out of the motors which would fail. So the software update won't change anything on a 2011 unfortunately.

Raising it quite an effect for the front occupants as well as the rear as it stops the air circulating and pushing forwards at the back of the front seats.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Raising it quite an effect for the front occupants as well as the rear as it stops the air circulating and pushing forwards at the back of the front seats.
not in my experience tbh ... it’s a really marginal difference if any ...

At a cost to replace of c £1200 (whole unit plus time for what is likely a very small failed component ) though I’d settle for some very minor wind if indeed it’s there instead ..... ridiculous cost to fix

Top Bottom