E350 W212 - Anyone connected a Raspberry Pi via Bluetooth?

TobiasLobster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
Hi All,
As of last week I'm the proud owner of a 2010 E350. I'm starting to look at what I can do to expand on the media options in the car.

I have COMAND NTG4 with the Media interface, but it's a very old version of the software - my maps are still dated 2009. I've got Bluetooth Audio (A2DP) that needs re-linking every time I get in the car.

My idea is to put a Raspberry Pi in the car and connect it via Bluetooth. I figure the Pi should be able to handle it's own re-connection each time the power comes on. It can store lots of media, and in theory could talk to my home network to pick up new music when I'm parked on the drive.

Has anyone tried anything like this already? I tried a search but got no result on the obvious words (Raspberry, Bluetooth).

A later experiment would be to also add DAB radio via the Pi, but that can wait until I have the basics working nicely.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Sounds like a lot of work when (with media interface) there should be a USB socket in the centre console that you can plug a memory stick into and have as much music storage as you want!!

OP
T

TobiasLobster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
Hi BillyBoy,
Yes, that would be much easier. Not as much challenge (or fun?) to make it work though, and I like the idea of any new music I add to the house network appearing in the car without remembering to take the memory stick indoors and update it. Plus, the stick won't get me the DAB radio - which admittedly I might never manage to get working.

I don't have a connector in the centre console, but do have one in the glove box. Not really sure what the thing in the console is, there's a vertical piece that slides forwards and backwards and on the back panel is a plastic mount that looks like something should clip to it. Any ideas of what it's for, and what should be connected to it, would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Lol - yes, it's fun to have a challenge!! I guess it depends on how you expose the output from your Pi - if you can stream, it should work.

There are two possibilities for the other connector. The Media Interface should come with a connection lead pack that plugs into a long narrow connector (similar to the iPhone 4 connector, but larger). There were three leads which allowed connection of iPhone, USB and 3.5mm Stereo jack for audio input. Mine also had a USB connector in the same location, but I think the earlier ones like your did have it in the glovebox.

The second option for the connector is that if you have phone pre-wire, it may be the UHI connector for a phone cradle or Bluetooth module. Google for Mercedes UHI and you will find an image of the connector to compare with.
Cheers,
Bill

OP
T

TobiasLobster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
Thanks Bill, the UHI search turned up the same thing. I'm going to stop trying to connect anything there.

I spoke to the dealer I bought the car from, he's sorting out the cable I need to connect in through the glove box. I guess a previous owner decided to keep the extra parts, can't imagine what use they'd be.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
how many digits on the postcodes?

I'd get new mapping (wait for 2017 should be out in a month or so) and get the car software updated.

If it doesn't yet should get 7 digit postcodes working and on the BT try repairing and check device, often they pop up a message (on the device not the car) about repairing automatically but it vanishes well before most see it, let alone acknowledge it

OP
T

TobiasLobster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI
The dealer is looking at the software update too. I'm still on 2009 maps so I doubt there's ever been a patch done.

I can input a full seven digits, but then it needs the town and street too, I guess the newer versions fix that?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom