e400 2018 - rattling noise during acceleration

Annabella Nassetti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400/2018/3L
Hello everyone,
I have an e400 2018 with 9700miles. I absolutely adore the car.. I bought it second hand and it has a rattling noise when i accelerate, both when in neutral (which Mercedes say is normal) but in a similar way it is much louder when accelerating in Drive @approx 1400-1800rpm.. It is not a nice noise but Mercedes says it is normal. It sound rattling lie something will fall off the car. Does anyone have a similar problem?
I tried a new one yesterday and the noise is 10% of what mine has. Mercedes says it is because the mileage is much more.. i think 9000 miles is not a lot for a car like this.
If it is normal I can't believe no on else has complained.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
9/10k and a 2018 car is anything but used in my book!
Any way you could post up the noise? Where does it seem to be coming from?
Sorry, should have said ‘welcome’!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
buy a benz and have rattles described by the dealer as "normal " at under 10k miles !!!! boxxocks ! make sure you give that place a miss.. have i miss understood is it 97,000 miles ? dealer basically saying ,go away ,if you get my meaning, unless yr wanting to buy anew one ? try to record and post the row its making.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It could easily be something like a loose exhaust heat shield.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That sounds like a typical Mercedes initial response for any problem - it’s normal. Sadly, they probably adopt that attitude even more when dealing with a lady customer.

Did you buy it from Mercedes and, if so, when? Assuming you did, then you need to make a real nuisance of yourself. Insist on seeing the General Manager (or whatever the top person is called these days) or create such a fuss in the showroom that they take you seriously. Your own investigation has shown that it is not normal. Good luck!

PS welcome to the forum.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

OP
A

Annabella Nassetti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400/2018/3L
Hello and I ma sorry for my late return.. have been away and difficult to upload noises... but please hear for yourself... it sounds a lot louder in real life as you can imagine... but this is as good as during the drive and with windows closed... I hope i can now manage to upload the sound...
Thank you.

OP
A

Annabella Nassetti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e400/2018/3L
I can't seem to do the noise upload. Anyone knows how do i upload an mp4 file? Thank you!

Tom Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Cab 2018
Hello everyone,
I have an e400 2018 with 9700miles. I absolutely adore the car.. I bought it second hand and it has a rattling noise when i accelerate, both when in neutral (which Mercedes say is normal) but in a similar way it is much louder when accelerating in Drive @approx 1400-1800rpm.. It is not a nice noise but Mercedes says it is normal. It sound rattling lie something will fall off the car. Does anyone have a similar problem?
I tried a new one yesterday and the noise is 10% of what mine has. Mercedes says it is because the mileage is much more.. i think 9000 miles is not a lot for a car like this.

Hi Annabella
I also have an E400 and like you have experienced the same issue
I have owned the car from new, delivered Feb 2018, it now has approx 27k on the clock.
I don't recall the noise initially but as of spring 2018 it became apparent. The noise has got gradually worse over time to the extent I have considered asking for my money back on the car.
Like you I have engaged the dealership network multiple times (4 in total) and the final conclusion from Bristol Mercedes is "It's a characteristic of the car"
Even if this is a "characteristic of the car" it is an unacceptable one and needs resolving. I personally cannot accept a premium car manufacturer such as Mercedes would allow a product with this issue to be on the market.
I am on my 5th attempt to resolve the issue via Mercedes UK customer service, I am not hopeful - In short Mercedes just don't care (This is my first Mercedes and I have been shocked by the quality of their customer service - They make BMW look like Bentley)
I see your original post was made in April, in this time have you had any resolution or has you dealer found a solution?
Hope to hear back

*For anyone else reading this post and is interested the noise sounds similar to "Pinking" and it happens under light to moderate acceleration below 2000 rpm

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Even if this is a "characteristic of the car" it is an unacceptable one and needs resolving. I personally cannot accept a premium car manufacturer such as Mercedes would allow a product with this issue to be on the market.

This seems to be the significant sentence here.
Merc's standard response, however sugar coated, always seems to be, 'They all do that sir.' Or in this case, 'Madam.'
Decoded, it really means, 'We've taken your money - now why don't you go away!'

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Interestingly thread:

Mercedes in some engines employ a new system called camtronic which is a variable inlet valve lifting system to improve emissions, it might be worth investigating whether the engine used in your car has this feature and if so whether it is operating properly

BMW use a more complex system in their petrol engines called Valvetronic which can also be troublesome

John Stratton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 2.1 Diesel 2018
I have this same noise with my 2018 A Class . It has the 2.2 om651 engine . I have been to the dealer 3 times regarding this and get the same answer . It’s a characteristic of the car . It’s not all the time but at its worst level it sounds terrible . As mentioned it’s like loud pinking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joefrey rodriguez

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400/2016/3.0 twin turbo
Hello everyone,

Yes i have the same issue, i have a 2016 e400.. when your next to a wall its heard even more louder like rattling.. i was told this was the blow of valves. Theres two different noises that sound at idle to maybe about 1500 RPM theres the lifter sound that sound more like a diesel engine and then theres that other sound that sounds like a something is being dragged or something is loose.. its heard clearly next to like a wall on the freeway in traffic.. i have no idea what the sound is but if anyone finds out let us know please.. it may need lubrication or something

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom