E55 ATF how to measure level?

tt643

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e55 1999
I have just had my transmission oil changed on my E55,we drained the the oil out of the sump and torque converter, 8 litres came out,filled it with the same amount.Took the car for a long drive and when i came back put the dipstick in whilst the car was in park the oil didnt register on the level it should have been.

Then put the car in nuetral and it registered,are you suppose to measure it in nuetral or park.Iam worried now that there might not enough oil in there.

Thanks in advance.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have just had my transmission oil changed on my E55,we drained the the oil out of the sump and torque converter, 8 litres came out,filled it with the same amount.Took the car for a long drive and when i came back put the dipstick in whilst the car was in park the oil didnt register on the level it should have been.

Then put the car in nuetral and it registered,are you suppose to measure it in nuetral or park.Iam worried now that there might not enough oil in there.

Thanks in advance.

.......... and the engine was running when you dipped it? On auto boxes I've checked the level on over the years, it hasn't mattered whether in Park or neutral

OP
T

tt643

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e55 1999
.......... and the engine was running when you dipped it? On auto boxes I've checked the level on over the years, it hasn't mattered whether in Park or neutral

yes the engine was running , in park it didnt hit the mark but in neutral it was hitting the mark.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
According to a well respected Indy you "Dip the sump with the dipstick with the gearbox in "N" or "P".

Is it a genuine MB dipstick?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I have a REAL one I no longer use but I really cant be bothered to post...
If you are ever in Lancashire give me a shout and I shall sell it to you..

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 14

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
80 degree versus 20 degree mark

It's very difficult, almost impossible to actually get the gearbox to reach 80. Maybe that is why there is also a 20 degree mark on the dipstick?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's very difficult, almost impossible to actually get the gearbox to reach 80. Maybe that is why there is also a 20 degree mark on the dipstick?
Sure, I think the calculation is taken into account :D You can burn your self on hot transmission fluid, hence the cooler fitted.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm convinced that the only way to get mine to 80 degrees would be to use a blow torch on the sump.

I checked this a few times recently and cannot get it to go above 70, even after a hard drive and long tick over.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Then I would say you have a thermostat issue which also needs sorting.

The gearbox should be +80'c and running and in Park to be checked correctly or less than 25'c and running in park. The genuine dipsticks have marks for both temperatures.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Be careful of those ebay dipsticks. The one I purchased had a painted end which immediately started to flake when inserted.

I have always found it quite hard to read these auto boxes. Sometimes one side of the dipstick will show one level then on the reverse another? The ATF can also be quite translucent, again, making it difficult to read properly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Be careful of those ebay dipsticks. The one I purchased had a painted end which immediately started to flake when inserted.

I have always found it quite hard to read these auto boxes. Sometimes one side of the dipstick will show one level then on the reverse another? The ATF can also be quite translucent, again, making it difficult to read properly.

After the fluid has been 200k miles its much easier to see on the dip stick;)

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then I would say you have a thermostat issue which also needs sorting.

The gearbox should be +80'c and running and in Park to be checked correctly or less than 25'c and running in park. The genuine dipsticks have marks for both temperatures.
No thermostat issue, engine temp is nomal. Dipstick is genuine MB, no problems with oil flow.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
had my ATF done yesterday and checked it after, thought i had to much in as i didn't check while the engine was running :rolleyes: will try later when i finish work and hope its got the right ammount in when cold and will check when i get home after things have got up to temp. Oddly enough i did noticed there is a slight whyne when i lift off throttle (not really noticable under load) comes in at about 1500-1700 rpm when moving. now i did notice it before i had the car serviced but as i knew it could have been 50k miles since the last time the ATF was done i put it down to that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack btw (i'm getting good at that at the moment:))

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The whine sound like the diff to me, the boxes do not do that

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB diffs are not that good, the whine often never gets any worse. It is the pinion bearing thats lost its loading. I think that you would have to disconnect the prop shaft to test but it does sound so familiar. My SL did it

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Change the diff oil. 1.2 litres required ,90 grade. Around £5 a litre from ECP with the discount code.

You will need a bottle with a filler tube though, the last litre I bought from them did not have one, but I always keep one on the shelf.

Top Bottom